Darin is a Research Fellow leading the CRC Flavour and Quality Section. Darin and his research team investigate aspects of cocoa fermentation and drying as well as, physical, chemical and organoleptic cocoa quality assessments.
Areas of expertise, interest/specialties
• Cocoa fermentation and drying
• Factors affecting flavour development in cocoa
• Physical, chemical and sensory assessments of quality in cocoa
• Sensory evaluation methods for foods
• Flavour profile characteristics of Forastero, Trinitario and Criollo cocoa germplasm
• Further processing of related cocoa products
• Reviewer: Journal of European Food Research and Technology, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture and Agricultural Science Research Journal.
• Consultant on several Fine Flavour projects, projects on cocoa rehabilitation, production and processing.
• Member of International Cocoa Organisation (ICCO) ad hoc panel of experts on Fine or Flavour cocoa and various cocoa stakeholder committees.
• Technical co-ordinator of the “Project to assess the quality attributes of the Imperial College Selections”.
• Technical co-ordinator for the World Bank funded Development Marketplace project on: “Identification and promotion of ancient cacao diversity through modern genomics methods to benefit small-scale farmers”.
Sukha, D.A.; Butler, D.R; Comissiong, E.A. and Umaharan, P. (2014). The impact of Processing Location and Growing Environment on flavor in cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) – implications for “Terroir” and Certification – Processing Location study. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 1047:255-262 http://www.actahort.org/books/1047/1047_31.htm.
Sukha, D.A.; Bharath, S.M; Ali, N.A and Umaharan, P. (2014). An Assessment of the Quality Attributes of the Imperial College Selections (ICS) Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) Clones. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 1047:237-243http://www.actahort.org/books/1047/1047_29.htm.
Ali, N.A.; Baccus-Taylor, G.S.H.; Sukha, D.A. and Umaharan, P. (2014). A Preliminary Investigation of the Effect of Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) Pulp on Final Flavor. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 1047:245-254 http://www.actahort.org/books/1047/1047_30.htm
John, A., Sukha, D.A., Wickham , L.D. and Mohammed, M. 2014. Quality Changes of Cocoa Liqueur Made From Infused Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) Beans With or Without Spices and Pulp. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 1047:331-334 http://www.actahort.org/books/1047/1047_42.htm
Khan, N.; Motilal, L.A.; Sukha, D.A.; Bekele, F.L.; Iwaro, A.D.; Bidaisee, G.G.; Umaharan, P.; Grierson, L.H. Zhang, D. (2008). Variability of butterfat content in cacao (Theobroma cacao L.): combination and correlation with other seed-derived traits at the International Cocoa Genebank, Trinidad. Plant Genetic Resources 6 (3): 175 - 186. DOI:10.1017/S1479262108994132, Published online by Cambridge University Press 19 May 2008.
Ali, N.; Badrie, N. and Sukha, D.A. (2008). Effects of Adding Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Pulp Nectar to Stirred Yoghurts on Physicochemical and Sensory Properties. Journal of Food Technology 6 (2): 51-56, 2008.
Sukha, D.A.; Butler, D.R., Umaharan, P. and Boult, E. (2008). The use of an optimised assessment protocol to describe and quantify different flavour attributes of cocoa liquors made from Ghana and Trinitario beans. Journal of European Food Research and Technology 226 (3): 405-413. DOI. 10.1007/s00217-006-0551-2, Published online by Springer-Verlag 8 December 2006.
Abdul-Karimu, A; Butler, D.R.; Iwaro, A.D.; Sukha, D.A.; Bekele, F.; Mooleedhar, V. and Shripat, C. (2003). Farmers’ perceptions of cocoa planting material and factors affecting the cocoa industry in Trinidad and Tobago. Tropical Agriculture 80 (4):261-266.
Cocoa Research Centre
The University of the West Indies
St. Augustine, Trinidad.
Tel: (868) 662 2002 Ext. 83332
Fax: (868) 662 8788
E-mail: Darin.Sukha@sta.uwi.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org