is a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?
chemical identification system was developed requiring
that every chemical shipped, used or stored be
accompanied by a document giving specific details
on the product
for users’ safety. These documents are referred
to as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and are
supposed to accompany every chemical or mixture
at every stage until they reach the user. The manufacturer
of the product is responsible for compiling the
It is important that you do not use any chemical
or mixture of chemicals unless you have the MSDS.
This tells you what precautions are necessary to
the substance and the prescribed response should something go wrong. INSIST
THAT YOU HAVE IT, IT'S YOUR RIGHT.
of the information that you would find on an MSDS
Identification and Manufacturer
• Name of the chemical as it appears on label
• Other trade or brand name used by manufacturers
• Common name by which the chemical is known
• Scientific name
• Manufacturers name
• Manufacturers address
• Manufacturers emergency contact number.
• Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) number. This is used for identification
in situations of misspelt names etc.
1. Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) rating
2. Threshold Limit Value (TLV) rating
and Freezing Points
Fire and Explosion
Flash point of a substance
Flammability or Explosive limit
Extinguishing Media Required
Spill or Leak Procedures