Applicants must satisfy the general entrance (matriculation) requirements of the University which are outlined below. If you need to discuss your own qualifications please contact the Admissions Section.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Thereis no minimum age requirement for entry to undergraduate programmes at the University, except for applicants to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), and B.Sc. Physical Therapy who must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants are required to satisfy the relevant University minimum entrance requirements for matriculation, either at Normal or Lower level, before being considered for admission to degree or other programmes.
In addition, for admission to some degree programmes applicants are required to have qualifications in some specific subjects. These are referred to as Faculty Requirements and are stated in the relevant Faculty Regulations.
(A) Passes in five subjects of which at least TWO must be at the CAPE/GCE A'Level while the remainder may be an acceptable pass in CXC(CSEC)/GCE/BGCSE Examinations. The following are acceptable :
- Two 2-unit CAPE (Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination)
- Six CAPE units including Caribbean Studies and Communication Studies.
(B) Other Qualifications to Full-Time Programmes
- Associate Degrees from approved Caribbean Tertiary Level Instituitions with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 and above. Some Faculties/programmes may require a higher GPA.
- Holders of Associate Degrees from approved Caribbean Tertiary Level Instituitions are considered as having satisfied normal matriculation requirements for entry to certain faculties and in specific instances credit/exemption may be given in respect of Level I courses.
- For the purpose of satisfying entry requirements, passes in subjects in the First Year examinations of the Faculties of Humanities and Education and Social Sciences and in Preliminary Level courses of the Faculties of Science and Agriculture, Pure and Applied Sciences of this University will be considered as the equivalent passes at the Advanced Level of the GCE examination.
- Degrees from any university recognized by the Board of Undergraduate Studies for this purpose.
- Persons with qualifications other than those stated above may also apply for admission.
- Persons over age 21 and who do not fall in any of the above categories will be assessed on their overall professional/academic achievements.
LOWER LEVEL MATRICULATION
At least five (5) acceptable passes at CXC(CSEC)/GCE/BGCSE including English Language and ONE of the following; a Foreign Language, Mathematics, an approved Science subject ; Geography.
- For the Faculties of Pure and Applied Science and Science and Agriculture, Mathematics and two (2) approved Science subjects are required.
- For the Faculty of Social Sciences, Mathematics is required.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to perform satisfactorily in an approved English Language Test. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 has been approved for this purpose.
English Language Proficiency Test
All applicants to The University of the West Indies are required to take the English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) except for persons with the following qualifications:-
1. Grade 1-CXC General Proficiency English A Examination
2. Grade A-Cambridge GCE O’level English
3. Grade I or II in CAPE Communication Studies
4. Grade A or B-Cambridge GCE A/O Level General Paper (GP) Examination
5. Grade B or above in a College English Course from an approved University.
The ELPT is usually held three times in the academic year. For 2012/2013:-
- Thursday February 14, 2013
- Thursday August 15, 2013
- Thursday October 17, 2013
- Thursday February 13, 2014
For persons who did not write the test at the first sitting a second and final sitting is usually scheduled during the first week of semester. The results of applicants who pass the test will remain valid for a period of five (5) years.
To register to sit the ELPT test kindly contact:
The English Language Foundation Unit
Faculty of Humanities & Education
The University of the West Indies
3rd Floor Campus House
Eastern Main Road
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO W.I.
Tel. No.: 1 868 662 2002 Ext. 83661
Transcripts are required for applicants with professional qualifications and who have studied outside of Trinidad and Tobago. Transcripts must be sent directly from the educational institution concerned to the Admissions Section, St. Augustine and must be received by 25 February of the year in which you are applying for admission.
The following lists the subjects which cannot be counted together for matriculation purposes.
- Additional Mathematics with either Applied Mathematics or Pure Mathematics at A-Level.
- Further Mathematics with Applied Mathematics at O-level or A-level.
- Mathematics (Pure and Applied) with Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics at GCE A-level with Mathematics at CXC General Proficiency level.
- Physics-with-Chemistry with Physics, or with Chemistry or with General Science, or with Additional General Science.
- General Science or Additional General Science or Integrated Science with Physics, or with Chemistry, Physics-with-Chemistry, Botany, Biology, Rural Biology, or with Zoology.
- Botany with Biology, General Biology or Rural Biology.
- Zoology with Biology, General Biology or Rural Biology.
- Biology with Zoology, General Biology or Rural Biology.
- Mechanics with Additional Mathematics. (For the purpose of overlap with A-level subjects, Mathematics should be treated as if its title were Applied Mathematics.
- A-level in Physical Science may count in place of one but not both A-levels in Physics and Chemistry.
- Agricultural Science with Biology, Rural Biology, Botany, Zoology, General Science or Additional General Science.
- Engineering Science with Physics or Physics-with-Chemistry.
- Commerce with Economics.
- Accounting with Principles of Accounts.
- Metalwork with Woodwork.
Approved Science Subjects at GCE A-Level Applied Mathematics, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physical Science*, Physics, Pure Mathematics, Zoology.
*Cannot be offered with Physics or Chemistry.
EQUIVALENT QUALIFICATIONS ACCEPTED FOR MATRICULATION PURPOSES
- Association of Accounting Tutors (AAT) Level III Association of Business Executives (A.B.E.) U.K. Diploma and Advanced DiplomaBritish Technicians Education Council (BTEC) U.K. National Certificates/DiplomasCity and Guilds - U.K. Ordinary Technician Diploma in Building, Civil Engineering or ConstructionFellow of the Life Management Institute (FLMI) Certificate/DiplomaLondon Chamber of Commerce (L.C.C.I.) Pass at Stage II (60-74%) (restricted to one or two subjects in determining matriculation status)Professional Secretaries International Association, U.S.A. Certified Professional Secretary Qualification
- Royal Society of Arts (R.S.A.) U.K. Stage II Pass (60-74%) (Restricted to one or two subjects in determining matriculation status)
- Barbados Community College (BCC) Various Certificates and Diplomas (Please check with the College)
- Barbados Institute of Management (BIMAP) Diploma in Management Studies
- College of Agriculture, Jamaica Associateship in Science A.Sc.
- College of the Bahamas - Associate Degree - Grade Point Average minimum of 2.5; Associate Degree in Business Studies; Diploma in Social Sciences
- Grenada National College Associate Degree in Science
- Joint Services Staff College Diploma
- National Institute of Higher Education Research Science and Technology (NIHERST) Higher National Diploma in Computer Studies
- National Union of Co-operative Societies (NUCS) - Jamaica Cooperative Societies Certificate
- Royal Bank Institute of Business and Technology (ROYTEC) Associate Degree
- School of Continuing Studies. Consult your Resident Representative for information on accepted Programmes
- School of Medical Radiation and Technology, Jamaica Diploma
- St. John's College, Belize Associate Degree in Arts and Science
- Teacher Training College of Trinidad and Tobago - Teachers Diploma with course entitled ‘English Literacy Studies’ (Entry to Faculty of Humanities & Education only)
- Trinidad and Tobago National Technician Diplomas (NEC) (with a pass of »65%)- Land Surveying Technician Diploma; Civil Engineering Technician Diploma; Electrical Engineering Technician Diploma
- University Centre, Antigua in association with the St. Vincent University, Halifax Nova Scotia. Certificate in Early Childhood Education
The University may accept in complete or partial satisfaction of the General Entrance Requirements a large number of other qualifications from tertiary institutions in Trinidad and Tobago and overseas offered by students. Candidates with such qualifications are considered individually so typical offers cannot be quoted in this Guide.
Remember, if you possess such qualifications, you must request that a copy of your transcript be forwarded directly to the Admissions Section by 25 February of the year you wish to enter.
- Campus Principal's Welcome
- UWI St. Augustine
- First Year Applicants
- Enrollment Options
- Entrance Requirements
- Degrees Offered
- How Can I Apply?
- Application Instructions
- Applying Online
- Applying By Paper
- Application Forms
- Documents Required
- Application Fees
- Dates and Deadlines
- Apply Now
- Prohibition on Submission of Fraudulent Admission Documents
- Instructions for completing Application Form
- Re-Admission/Entry Procedure
- UWI Transfer Applicants
- Transfer of Credits
- Specially Admitted & Occassional Applicants
- Applicants with Disabilities
- Evening Applicants
- International Students
- Open Campus
- Summer School
- Apply Now
- Track Application