INSTRUCTION & INFORMATION GUIDE FOR APPLICATION TO SUMMER SCHOOL CERTIFICATE/DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES [SOCIAL SCIENCES ONLY] - 2011/2012
Applications are invited for admission from suitably qualified persons for admission to the Faculty of Social Sciences Certificate and Diploma Programmes offered in the “summer” semester ONLY commencing May 14 to July 07, 2012.
Duration of the “summer” semester certificate/diploma programmes is approximately two (2) academic years (over three (3) summer semesters).
Applications are open to all persons who are recognized as having satisfied the matriculation requirements for entry to The University of the West Indies as well as such Faculty requirements as may obtain.
The offer of a place will be considered only where the applicant has satisfied both matriculation and faculty requirements. The offering of any of the certificate/diploma programmes is subject to the availability of an adequate number of qualified persons.
- Management Information Systems
- Public Sector Human Resource Management
TEACHING & EXAMINATIONS
Lectures and tutorials will be conducted from May 14 to July 07, 2012 (including Saturdays and Public Holidays).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to perform satisfactorily in an approved English Language Test. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 has been approved for this purpose.
English Language Proficiency Test
All applicants to The University of the West Indies are required to take the English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) except for persons with the following qualifications:
1. Grade 1-CXC General Proficiency English A Examination
2. Grade A-Cambridge GCE O’Level English
3. Grade I or II in CAPE Communication Studies
4. Grade A or B-Cambridge GCE A/O Level General Paper (GP) Examination
The results of applicants who pass the test will remain valid for a period of five (5) years.
For 2012/2013 academic year, the ELPT will be held:
February 9, 2012
August 16, 2012
October 11, 2012
February 14, 2013
To register to sit the ELPT test kindly contact:
The English Language Foundation Programme
Faculty of Humanities & Education
The University of the West Indies
3rd Floor Campus House
Eastern Main Road
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO W.I.
Tel. No.: 1 868 662 2002 Ext. 83651
The following documents must be submitted:
- Confirmation Receipt for candidates submitting online applications
Application forms [fully completed in DUPLICATE - Applicable only to candidates submitting paper applications ].
- Receipt indicating payment of Non-Refundable Application Fee
[applicable only to candidates submitting paper application]
3. Birth Certificate.
4. Marriage Certificate (where applicable)
5. Legal Affidavit or Deed Poll if present name is different from that on
the Birth Certificate
- Academic Certificates (GCE, CXC (CAPE), CXC (CSEC)), GCE/CXC
(CSEC/CAPE) Grade Slips (Accepted only in cases where certificates are not yet available)
7. Professional Certificates/Diplomas
- Official transcripts (sent directly from granting institution; this does not apply to High School students in Trinidad & Tobago).
- Supplemental Sheet 3 – Referee Information (Mature Applicants, Certificate and Diploma Applicants)
- Two (2) letters of Recommendation
11. TOEFL Examination Score (Applicable only to candidates whose
native language is not English). A TOEFL Score of 500 or greater is required.
Applicants MUST submit certified photocopies of all supporting documents which have been certified by a Notary Public/School Principal or School Vice Principal. These documents are necessary for consideration of your application.
TRANSCRIPTS for professional and overseas qualifications should be sent to the Student Affairs Office, St. Augustine Campus DIRECT FROM THE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION CONCERNED by May 7, 2010.
NB: GRADUATES OF UWI NEED NOT REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS
- Documents which are defaced or which appear to be altered in any way WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Grade Slips are NOT Certificates.
- Official Replacements for GCE Certificate lost or/inadvertently destroyed can be requested from the examining body i.e. London, Cambridge. The office of the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) should be asked about replacement of CXC (CSEC/CAPE) Certificates.
- Where professional Certificates, Diplomas and/or University degrees are submitted, applicants must request the granting Institution to forward transcripts directly to: The Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs (Admissions), St. Augustine Campus. It is the responsibility of the applicant to request that such transcripts are forwarded to reach the University by May 11, 2012. UWI graduates need not request transcripts.
- Applicants with qualifications in a language other than English should submit a certified English translation, together with the original.
- All submitted documents become the property of The University of the West Indies and will not be returned.
Applicants Are Hereby Cautioned That:
(i) Applications will not be considered if there is any indication that the accompanying papers or certificates have been altered in any way.
- Each applicant must include on the form his/her telephone number or the telephone number of a reliable contact person. This will facilitate urgent communication with the applicant.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES
The University of the West Indies provides a variety of services to the differently able student community. Information on these services can be accessed at http://www.sta.uwi.edu/admissions/apply/dom_disabilities.asp
All applicants with a disability are required to complete and submit the following forms along with all other requested application documents:-
- Request for Disability Service
- Student Needs Assessment
- Statement of Disability
Forms can be downloaded and printed from http://sta.uwi.edu/resources/documents/AADLUFormsABC.doc
On-Campus Application Centre
The University has set up an on-campus Application Centre to assist applicants with the completion of their online applications and to receive documents.
Customer Service Centre
New Student Administration Building
[Next to UWI Security Office]
8.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Persons applying on-line are exempted from paying an application fee.
If you are applying on paper, you must include with your application a NON-REFUNDABLE application fee of TT$90.00 which must be paid at any branch of Republic Bank Ltd.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
The closing date for receipt of applications is April 30, 2012. UWI will not accept any late applications. Applicants are therefore advised to submit their applications without delay.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION
There are two (2) options available for applying for admission to The University of the West Indies either:-
- Online at http://www.sta.uwi.edu/admissions [no application fee is required]
- Download an application form and Instruction Sheet at http://www.sta.uwi.edu/admissions. Complete and submit to the University. [Non-refundable application fee receipt MUST be submitted with application forms]
Do NOT submit a paper application if you have applied on-line. This will cause a delay in dealing with your application.
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS
You can apply directly via the website http://www.sta.uwi.edu/admissions.
- When making the selection of Application Type Select: New Summer
- You can indicate FOUR (4) CHOICES on your online application.
- After selecting your first choice, you may select a second, third, and fourth choice by clicking the NEXT PROGRAM button and choosing the programme.
- Your Confirmation Receipt would only be valid if you have fully completed your online application.
STEP 1: GO TO THE UWI ADMISSIONS WEBPAGE
Start at the webpage http://www.sta.uwi.edu/admissions.
- Select New Summer
- You can now begin the application process by clicking the APPLY NOW button.
STEP 2: SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT
Create a Login ID and PIN (Personal Identification Number) to set up an account. Make a note of your Login ID and PIN since you will need these to access your application information after you log out of the system.
STEP 3: COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE
Follow the instructions and complete the application in full before submitting it.
You do not have to complete your application in one sitting. You can start the process and complete it any time before the deadline using your Login ID and PIN.
To access an application that you may have started already but were unable to complete, login to the system using the Login ID and PIN that you created in STEP 2 above. Then click the application and resume the application process by selecting the appropriate item on the Application Checklist.
STEP 4: SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have entered all the required information on the form for your 1st Choice, you may select a 2nd Choice, 3rd Choice and 4th Choice by clicking the NEXT PROGRAM button and choosing the programme.
Complete your selections and once you are satisfied, you may submit your application by clicking the APPLICATION IS COMPLETE button.
If your application is missing required information, highlighted by red (*), it will not be accepted by the system. Review your application, enter all missing information and re-submit by clicking the APPLICATION IS COMPLETE button.
STEP 5: PRINT AND MAIL IN SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Upon the successful completion and submission of an online application you will automatically receive a letter acknowledging receipt of your application. To view your Acknowledgement Letter do the following:
- On the Applicant Menu, go to the Submitted Applications section.
- Go to the Confirmation/Acknowledgement section and click on the link associated with your submitted application.
- Print the Acknowledgement Letter and retain a copy for your record.
Included in the acknowledgement letter is a link to download the Confirmation Receipt for your application. You must print, fill out and sign the Confirmation Receipt. Mail or drop-in the signed Undergraduate Confirmation Receipt along with the other supporting documents [Refer to Section on DOCUMENTS REQUIRED for details] to:
The Assistant Registrar
Student Affairs (Admissions)
The University of the West Indies
St. Augustine Campus
Trinidad & Tobago W.I.
Please note that your application will not be processed until we receive the completed Confirmation Receipt with all supporting documents from you.
YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT WOULD ONLY BE VALID IF YOU HAVE FULLY COMPLETED YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION.
You MUST send the documents indicated above as soon as possible. They should arrive at the University, with the signed Confirmation Receipt, no later than TWO (2) weeks from the date that you submitted your on-line application and no later than May 7, 2010.
NOTE: Applicants for Certificate/Diploma programmes and Mature applicants to Certificate / Diploma and Degree programmes must submit two (2) letters of recommendation along with the Confirmation Receipt /Application forms and supporting documents
STEP 6: TRACK YOUR APPLICATION
Track the progress of your application at any time using our website. Start at the webpage http://www.uwi.edu/track Login using the Login ID and PIN created in STEP 2 above. On the Applicant Menu Page, scroll down to the Submitted Applications Section. CLICK the link displayed in Admission Term of the application you wish to track.
PAPER APPLICATION PROCESS - FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW.Click here for details
- Campus Principal's Welcome
- UWI St. Augustine
- First Year Applicants
- UWI Transfer Applicants
- Specially Admitted & Occassional Applicants
- Evening Applicants
- International Applicants
- Distance Education
- Summer School
- Apply Now