The establishment of an interdisciplinary research cluster
for the study of infectious diseases in the Neotropics, in
order to promote and to improve the health and welfare of
humans and animals.
1. To establish programmes of research that will advance knowledge
in the field of
infectious diseases of relevance to the Caribbean Region
2. To ascertain the (temporal and spatial) distribution
of infectious diseases in human and
animals in the Region, using the geographical information
system (GIS) approach.
3. To promote public health and food safety through surveillance
of, and development of control
measures for vector and food-borne diseases in the Region
4. To provide opportunities for Caribbean and other students
to study infectious diseases,
including zoonoses, emerging and re-emerging infections in
5. To develop the skills, expertise and scientific reputations
that will lead to the establishment
of a world-class academic centre for tropical medicine and
international health at the UWI, St.