Graduands are required to:
- assemble at the Sport and Physical Education Centre at the St. Augustine Circular Road (by 8.00am sharp for those attending the 10.00am Ceremony, and by 2.00pm sharp for those attending the 4.00pm Ceremony)
- remain in place once attendance has been checked.
Examinations staff will guide you in the assembling process, namely being checked off and queued in alphabetic order according to signage provided.
Once you have been checked off, you must remain in your position. Failure to do so may result in your name being struck off the list. This is necessary as seats in the auditorium are labeled with your names. We look forward to your cooperation to ensure the smooth flow of proceedings.
Graduands who arrive after the procession has begun will not be allowed to participate in the Presentation Ceremony as attendance lists would have been completed. Please pay particular attention to this advice and be guided accordingly.
Note: Use of Flash Cards
Graduands, once checked off in lines, will be provided with flash cards bearing their names.
These cards are to be kept safely throughout the Ceremony as it will be used during the ceremonial line up process before presentation to the Chancellor. At the platform, graduands are asked to pay particular attention to personnel seated left (adjacent to the platform) whose purpose is to receive the flash cards for projection on the Elmo Digital Image Presenter viewable at the teleprompter’s screen so that your name will be called by the Dean.
N.B.: Conferring of Degrees:
At the point in the Ceremony when the University Registrar caps the Chancellor and invites the appropriate Dean of the respective Faculty to present graduands for the award of First Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates, and Higher Degrees, you will be invited to line up for presentation to Chancellor and receipt of your certificate.
This will be conducted in an orderly fashion and you are reminded that you must have your flash card in your possession.
You are required to return to your seat after receiving your certificate and remain there until the ceremony ends.
Order of Ceremonies
- The Academic Procession
- The Chancellor’s Procession
- National Anthem
- Chancellor’s Address
- Conferment of Honorary Degrees
- Graduation Address
- Musical Presentation
- Award of First Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates
- Valedictory Address
- Award of Higher Degrees
- Closure of Ceremony
Public Orator: Professor Teelucksingh
Professor Teelucksingh is a Professor of Medicine attached to the Faculty of Medical Sciences of The UWI.
He has been the scientific advisor to the Diabetes Association of Trinidad and Tobago and the Juvenile Diabetes Association of Trinidad and Tobago, and has also chaired the National Commission for UNESCO.
Significant work by Professor Teelucksingh includes:
- Tremendous research in Diabetes mellitus, Dengue, Endocrinology, and Pedagogy.
- Involvement in over 80 researched publications
- Coordinator and a trustee of the Helen Bhagwansingh Diabetes Trust Fund which supports the Diabetes Education Research and Prevention institute (DERPi)
- The UWI team leader of the IDB-funded Regional Non-Communicable Diseases Surveillance System Project
- Involvement in MEDS Project, the Medical Education of General Practitioners and General Public in the Metabolic Syndrome.
Professor Teelucksingh is the Public Orator for the UWI St. Augustine Campus.