The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
In the News
Beyond 2015: Equality and Equity for All Children
The Caribbean Child Research Conference is held annually in Jamaica. It is a regional interdisciplinary conference covering a range of child related themes. The conference aims to share research on children, strengthen the network of researchers on children's issues, and encourage research in areas that are often "under-researched". The conference will take place on November 4th - 6th at the Jamaica Conference Centre.
The Honourable Winston Dookeran, Minister of Foreign Affairs Participates in the Forum on the Future of the Caribbean. [link]
At The Third International Conference on Financing for Development (13 to 16 July 2015) business, government and civil society leaders have come together to launch a global partnership for financing people-centred sustainable development. [link]
Institute of Development Studies Newsletter (April, 2015): Latest News on Rising Powers and Global Development
- Visa free travel to Russia for Guyanese - 29 September 2015
- Guyana and Venezuela restore ambassadors despite border issue - 28 September 2015
- More on the Guyana-Venezuela border dispute...
- Dominica estimates loss from Tropical Storm Erika at nearly half of the island's GDP - 4 September 2015
- Caribbean VC's Democratic Vision at home and abroad - 9 July 2015
- UN Secretary General's Press Encounter in Barbados - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon addresses Youth of the region at Caribbean Youth Speak Symposium - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General's statement on Violence against Women and Children in the Caribbean - 1 July, 2015
- Mass deportation of Haitian immigrants from Dominican Republic feared - CNN, 21 June, 2015
- Diaspora recruitment to help fill top Diplomatic posts - Starbroek News, Georgetown, Guyana. 16 June, 2015
Pope Francis is the 5th Pope to visit the United Nations. See his papal address to the UN General Assembly, made on Friday 25th September, 2015.
Barack Obama meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping, agree on cybertheft - 28 September 2015
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A joint quarterly publication of the UWI Institute of International Relations (IIR) and the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Volume 2, Issue 1, March, 2014
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
Annual Report 2013-2014
For more IIR publications click here.
- SALISES 2016 Conference, Barbados, 30 March - 1 April, 2016: Call for Papers
- Dr. Matthew Bishop won a grant of $15,200 from the Social Science Research Council for his project The Turning Tide of Drug Policy in the Americas: is the Caribbean Riding the Wave? Read More....
- Professor Knight received a grant from The Pan American Health Organization to draft and present a background paper in Barbados on "Keeping Non-Communicable Diseases as a Political Priority in the Caribbean: A Political Economy Analysis" (co-authored with Dinah Hippolyte, IIR Research Assistant). Scenes from the "Forum of Key Stakeholders on NCDs: Advancing the NCD Agenda in the Caribbean", Barbados, 8-9 June 2015.
- Dr. Annita Montoute was recently featured in this publication of UNLIREC's “Forces of Change II: Recognizing the Contribution of Latin American and Caribbean Women to Disarmament”
- The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme. Application Form.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here
Photograph by Mark Lyndersay
The Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean, and by extension, Institute of International Relations would like to sincerely welcome Mrs. Mary-Ann Richards as the Coordinator at the Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean.