The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
In the News
Director of IIR, Professor Andy Knight, congratulates His Excellency David Granger, newly appointed President of the Republic of Guyana, and past student of the IIR. [link]
The Honourable Winston Dookeran, Minister of Foreign Affairs Participates in the Forum on the Future of the Caribbean. [link]
At The Third International Conference on Financing for Development (13 to 16 July 2015) business, government and civil society leaders have come together to launch a global partnership for financing people-centred sustainable development. [link]
Institute of Development Studies Newsletter (April, 2015): Latest News on Rising Powers and Global Development
- Caribbean VC's Democratic Vision at home and abroad - 9 July 2015
- UN Secretary General's Press Encounter in Barbados - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon addresses Youth of the region at Caribbean Youth Speak Symposium - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General's statement on Violence against Women and Children in the Caribbean - 1 July, 2015
- Mass deportation of Haitian immigrants from Dominican Republic feared - CNN, 21 June, 2015
- Diaspora recruitment to help fill top Diplomatic posts - Starbroek News, Georgetown, Guyana. 16 June, 2015
- CPA UK Bilateral Visit to the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago
- Who will lead the Caribbean? - Dominican Today, 15 May, 2015
- UWI Goes Global - Barbados Advocate
- IPS Caribbean Climate Wire Newsletter
Special Broadcast from Opening of Cuban Embassy in Washington - Havana Times, 20 Jul 2015
USA and Cuba restore ties by opening embassies -Al Jazeera News, 20 Jul 2015
US and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Ties after 5 decades - CBC World News, 20 Jul 2015
- The Clash of Civilizations: A Fictional narrative told in the pursuit of strategic interests - drawingboarddesign blog
- Financing for SDGs approved ahead of September vote - UN Wire, 17 July, 2015
- Live updates on Greece's Debt Crisis
- France donates EUR 50,000 to support food safety animal/plant health standards - WTO Press Release, 26 June, 2015
- Evidence may lead to new probe in 1961 death of UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjöld - 21 June, 2015
- European Parliamentarians call for release of Iranian Baha'i prisoners - 20 May, 2015
- French Climate Change Summit - 9 May, 2015
- 投资加勒比地区的政治风险及应对措施建议_张晓通- Xiaotong Zhang, Wuhan University
- Inter Press Service - Regional Newsletter
- First China-CELAC Forum Ministerial Meeting Concluded in Beijing
- The Next Step in China-LAC links
Diplomatic Protocol Training at the Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean
Module 2.4: Protocol and Diplomatic Law
10th - 14th August, 2015
Module 14: The Art of Diplomatic Communications
17th - 21st August, 2015
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A joint quarterly publication of the UWI Institute of International Relations (IIR) and the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Volume 2, Issue 1, March, 2014
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
Annual Report 2013-2014
For more IIR publications click here.
- SALISES 2016 Conference, Barbados, 30 March - 1 April, 2016: Call for Papers
- Dr. Matthew Bishop won a grant of $15,200 from the Social Science Research Council for his project The Turning Tide of Drug Policy in the Americas: is the Caribbean Riding the Wave? Read More....
- THE CAMBRIGE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECONOMIC CRIME
The Thirty-Third International Symposium on Economic Crime, Sunday 6th - Sunday 13th September, 2015: The Limits of the Law and The Role of Compliance in the 21st Century
Deadline for Registration: 14 August 2015:
- Professor Knight received a grant from The Pan American Health Organization to draft and present a background paper in Barbados on "Keeping Non-Communicable Diseases as a Political Priority in the Caribbean: A Political Economy Analysis" (co-authored with Dinah Hippolyte, IIR Research Assistant). Scenes from the "Forum of Key Stakeholders on NCDs: Advancing the NCD Agenda in the Caribbean", Barbados, 8-9 June 2015.
- Progress is well under way at the future site of the Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean. Click here to see photos.
- The Caribbean Beyond Today - Disruptive Thinking. Bold Action. Practical Solutions. 5th - 8th May 2015. UWI & The Hyatt, Trinidad & Tobago. More information.
- Dr. Annita Montoute was recently featured in this publication of UNLIREC's “Forces of Change II: Recognizing the Contribution of Latin American and Caribbean Women to Disarmament”
- The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme. Application Form.
- Opportunity to pursue an MSc. Project Management GPSM and the University of International Cooperation, Costa Rica! See here for more information.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here