The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
In the News
IIR News2016 IIR Student Study Tour to Cuba and Panama
Photo taken of the group at the Panama Canal
Students, staff and alumni of the Institute of International Relations recently completed the 2016 study tour of Cuba and Panama at the end of August.
From Left: Dr. Mark Kirton, Senior Lecturer and PhD student, Mr David Simmons
This tour was filled with many eye opening experiences for students as they toured various cultural and historical sites and attended lectures on economic, political and societal issues of these two countries.
Students exploring Old Havana
A group of 24 students participated in this study tour lead by Senior Lecturer Dr. Mark Kirton, with support by Dr. Jaqueline Laguardia Martinez, Lecturer.
Richard Lynch, MPhil Student at the Museum of the Revolution in Havana.
Tour participants also attended a reception at the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago in Havana, where they met with the Ambassador, His Excellency Dr. Lancelot Cowie.
Tour participants pose for a photo with Ambassador Cowie at the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy in Havana
From left to right, Ekana McAlister, His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Lancelot Cowie and Dr. Mark Kirton
Ambassador Dr. Cowie with Dr. Kirton, Dr. Laguardia Martinez, lecturers from the University of Havana and staff of the Embassy
The IIR welcomes our new Director Professor Jessica Byron-Reid. Professor Byron is an alumna of the IIR and formerly the Head and Professor in the Department of Government, Faculty of Social Sciences, UWI Mona Campus. Professor Byron is the first female Director at the Institute.
IIR Alum Ambassador to Washington
The IIR congratulates His Excellency Brigadier General Anthony Phillips-Spencer on his appointment to Trinidad and Tobago's Ambassador to the United States, and the honourable Dr. Gale Rigobert as the Minister of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and Sustainable Development in the Government of St. Lucia.
How Brexit will affect the Caribbean - Prof. W. Andy Knight
Academic Advising 2016
August 15-September 16
Mondays to Thursdays 9:00am-4:00pm
Monday 5th September 2016
IIR Lecture Room I
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A biannual publication of the Institute of International Relations, UWI - Volume 4, Issue 1, Special Edition: Symposium on the Caribbean Court of Justice,June, 2016. Available at the CJIR&D website.
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
For more IIR publications click here.
- The University of the West Indies has announced the appointment of Professor Jessica Byron-Reid as the Director of the Institute of International Relations, with effect from 1 August, 2016.
- The University of the West Indies has announced the appointment of Dr. Mark Kirton as the Acting Director of the Institute of International Relations, with effect from 1 January, 2016. Read more...
- Five researchers from the Institute of International Relations led by Dr. Annita Montoute have been selected as the winners of the Specific Call for Research Projects: The Caribbean in the Partnership EU-CELAC. Read more...
- Dr. Matthew Bishop won a grant of $15,200 from the Social Science Research Council for his project The Turning Tide of Drug Policy in the Americas: is the Caribbean Riding the Wave? Read More...
- The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme. Application Form.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here
The Institute of International Relations is celebrating 50 years! We will be hosting a series of events surrounding this monentous occasion.
The most recent of these events was the Naming Ceremony, for the Norman Girvan Library, the Yves Collart Board Room and the Hans Geiser Board Room at The Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean.Families of Dr Hans Geiser and Professor Emeritus Norman Girvan joined with the Insitute to celebrate these important figures of the IIR.