The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
In the News
The University of the West Indies has announced the appointment of Dr. Mark Kirton as the Acting Director of the Institute of International Relations, with effect from 1 January, 2016. Read more...
The Young Initiative on Foreign Affairs and International Relations (IFAIR) LACalytics!Call for Applicants (Deadline: 15 January, 2015)
Engage Youth Positively: Visiting Lecturer, Dr. John McCoy, on deterring youth from terrorism. [Trinidad Express Newspapers]
All application materials must be submitted on or before January 15, 2016.
Project proposals may be submitted online between 15 November and 31 December 2015.
The Honourable Winston Dookeran, Minister of Foreign Affairs Participates in the Forum on the Future of the Caribbean. [link]
At The Third International Conference on Financing for Development (13 to 16 July 2015) business, government and civil society leaders have come together to launch a global partnership for financing people-centred sustainable development. [link]
Institute of Development Studies Newsletter (April, 2015): Latest News on Rising Powers and Global Development
- Roundtable event at CCAA Miami conference, "The Cuba Challenge: New ideas for Small-Island States" - Podcast
- Non-Communicable Diseases - CARICOM leads global Action - Newsletter
- Visa free travel to Russia for Guyanese - 29 September 2015
- Guyana and Venezuela restore ambassadors despite border issue - 28 September 2015
- More on the Guyana-Venezuela border dispute...
- Dominica estimates loss from Tropical Storm Erika at nearly half of the island's GDP - 4 September 2015
- Caribbean VC's Democratic Vision at home and abroad - 9 July 2015
- UN Secretary General's Press Encounter in Barbados - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon addresses Youth of the region at Caribbean Youth Speak Symposium - 3 July, 2015
- UN Secretary General's statement on Violence against Women and Children in the Caribbean - 1 July, 2015
- Mass deportation of Haitian immigrants from Dominican Republic feared - CNN, 21 June, 2015
- Diaspora recruitment to help fill top Diplomatic posts - Starbroek News, Georgetown, Guyana. 16 June, 2015
Will Canada's new liberal Government move closer to China? - Asian Review
Pope Francis is the 5th Pope to visit the United Nations. See his papal address to the UN General Assembly, made on Friday 25th September, 2015.
Barack Obama meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping, agree on cybertheft - 28 September 2015
- No upcoming events -
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A joint quarterly publication of the UWI Institute of International Relations (IIR) and the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Volume 2, Issue 1, March, 2014
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
For more IIR publications click here.
- SALISES 2016 Conference, Barbados, 30 March - 1 April, 2016: Call for Papers
- Dr. Matthew Bishop won a grant of $15,200 from the Social Science Research Council for his project The Turning Tide of Drug Policy in the Americas: is the Caribbean Riding the Wave? Read More....
- Professor Knight received a grant from The Pan American Health Organization to draft and present a background paper in Barbados on "Keeping Non-Communicable Diseases as a Political Priority in the Caribbean: A Political Economy Analysis" (co-authored with Dinah Hippolyte, IIR Research Assistant). Scenes from the "Forum of Key Stakeholders on NCDs: Advancing the NCD Agenda in the Caribbean", Barbados, 8-9 June 2015.
- Dr. Annita Montoute was recently featured in this publication of UNLIREC's “Forces of Change II: Recognizing the Contribution of Latin American and Caribbean Women to Disarmament”
- The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme. Application Form.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here
The Institute of International Relations is lending a helping hand to Caribbean countries who suffer the wrath of natural disasters. You can help too, by donating to the Caribbean Treasure Trust: Emergency Relief Fund, a collective effort to support our brothers and sisters within the region, during their time of need.