The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
IIR Students at a Simulation CARICOM meeting
Professor Knight greets His Excellency The President of Trinidad and Tobago
Professor Knight meets with Mr. Basdeo Panday on talks for the Caribbean Court of Justice
The Official Launch of the Diplomatic Academy
Memorial in Celebration of the life of Professor Girvan
In the News
International Relations News
CARICOM Priorities for Implementation of Strategic Plan (2015-2019) [Read PDF]
Outcome SDGs as at 19 July, 2014 [Read PDF]
Deeper CARICOM analysis on Syria needed [Read]
Professor Fidel Castro gives feature address on science and nanotechnology at the IIR [Read]
IIR Director Professor Andy Knight gives talk in commemoration of the late Nelson Mandela. [Read]
Politicians need Diplomacy Lessons [Read]
Uncertain Energy: The Caribbean's Gamble with Venezuela [Read]
Focus on Trinidad and Tobago for Arms Treaty Headquarters [Read]
Air Pollution linked to 7million deaths globally. [Read]
UNICEF And UWI’s Institute Of International Relations Sign MOU on Children’s Issues
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) of The University of the West Indies and the United Nations Children ’s Fund (UNICEF) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish a Hub for the creation and facilitation of the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON).
Mark Kirton – Caribbean Regional Disaster Response and Management Mechanisms: Prospects and Challenges
Express Article: New dominance of Non-Communicable Diseases: Lecture on Health Diplomacy at the Institute of International Relations, UWI.
Commentaries on A Post Chavez Venezuela: click here for commentaries
Interview with IIR Director, Prof. Andy Knight.
Embracing integration remains key to CARICOM development. Dr. R. Mark Kirton
The Institute of International Relations is currently under renovations from Monday 7th July, 2014 - Friday 22nd August, 2014.
Diplomatic Protocol Training at the Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean
Understanding the United Nations
August 11-15, 2014
Intelligence, Statecraft and Multidimensional Security in the Caribbean
September 8-12, 2014
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A joint quarterly publication of the UWI Institute of International Relations (IIR) and the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Volume 2, Issue 1, March, 2014
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
For more IIR publications click here.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here.
- Job Openings at UDLAP (Mexico)
- Director of IIR, Professor W. Andy Knight, has been appointed as a member of the publications committee of the International Studies Association (ISA).
- Please see the call for applicants for funded Masters degrees in International Development at the University of East Anglia.
- IIR Lecturer, Dr. Debbie Mohammed appointed to the European Union Latin America & the Caribbean Academic Council 2013-2015. The 2013-2015 EULAC Academic Council comprises of 5 members based in the Caribbean, Europe, Latin American and the U.S.A.
- IIR Librarian, Tamara Brathwaite appointed Associate Librarian at United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), Ethiopia. Feb. 2014 - Jan. 2016
- Instituto de Estudios del Caribe video lectures on Caribbean issues by distinguished guest lecturers
- Post-CHOGM Conference 2014 Video Interviews
- MacArthur Foundation- Grant Information
- New Grant on Piracy - Prof. Knight (IIR/ University of Alberta) and Dr. Afyare A. Elmi (Qatar University)
- Minister Dookeran announces Diplomatic Academy at IIR
The Institute of International Relations would like to sincerely congratulate Prof. Timothy Shaw, former Director of the institute, on the achievement of an Honorary Doctorate from the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.