The Institute of International Relations at The University of the West Indies is a well-established and regarded interdisciplinary Caribbean regional centre for the analysis and advancement of international relations.
In the News
The IIR welcomes our new Director Professor Jessica Byron-Reid. Professor Byron is an alumna of the IIR and formerly the Head and Professor in the Department of Government, Faculty of Social Sciences, UWI Mona Campus. Professor Byron is the first female Director at the Institute.
The IIR congratulates His Excellency Brigadier General Anthony Phillips-Spencer on his appointment to Trinidad and Tobago's Ambassador to the United States, and the honourable Dr. Gale Rigobert as the Minister of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and Sustainable Development in the Government of St. Lucia.
How Brexit will affect the Caribbean - Prof. W. Andy Knight
Academic Advising 2016
August 15-September 16
Mondays to Thursdays 9:00am-4:00pm
Monday 5th September 2016
IIR Lecture Room I
Videos of past events are available at www.livestream.com/iirtv
Caribbean Journal of International Relations and Diplomacy
A joint quarterly publication of the UWI Institute of International Relations (IIR) and the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Volume 2, Issue 1, March, 2014
Take a look at the latest issue of the IIR's newsletter, the IIR Today.
For more IIR publications click here.
- The University of the West Indies has announced the appointment of Professor Jessica Byron-Reid as the Director of the Institute of International Relations, with effect from 1 August, 2016.
- The University of the West Indies has announced the appointment of Dr. Mark Kirton as the Acting Director of the Institute of International Relations, with effect from 1 January, 2016. Read more...
- Five researchers from the Institute of International Relations led by Dr. Annita Montoute have been selected as the winners of the Specific Call for Research Projects: The Caribbean in the Partnership EU-CELAC. Read more...
- Dr. Matthew Bishop won a grant of $15,200 from the Social Science Research Council for his project The Turning Tide of Drug Policy in the Americas: is the Caribbean Riding the Wave? Read More...
- The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme. Application Form.
- The IIR is the hub for the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON) See more about the objectives and function of CCRON here
The Institute of International Relations is celebrating 50 years! We will be hosting a series of events surrounding this monentous occasion.
The most recent of these events was the Naming Ceremony, for the Norman Girvan Library, the Yves Collart Board Room and the Hans Geiser Board Room at The Diplomatic Academy of the Caribbean.Families of Dr Hans Geiser and Professor Emeritus Norman Girvan joined with the Insitute to celebrate these important figures of the IIR.