The Department’s Vision:
“To be a pre-eminent department that deepens engaged scholarship, student centeredness, collaborative exchange, and critical praxes that foster positive social change and justice in the Caribbean and beyond.”
The Department’s Mission:
"To advance the ideals of social change and justice; through conscientization, inter-disciplinary praxis, cutting edge teaching and life-long learning, innovative research, knowledge creation and collaboration, for the betterment of all people and societies in the region and beyond."
- Excellence - High standards in research, teaching and service necessary for the 21st century.
- Collaboration - Practicing collaborative exchange and interdisciplinary scholarship.
- Diversity - Promoting cultural sensitivity, inclusion, equity within the academic community
- Resilience - Strengthening the coping skills/competencies of staff and students
- Service - Providing relevant, exceptional skill sets and services for our staff, students and society.
- Integrity - maintaining and upholding university policies, regulations and ordinances while delivering on our commitments with attention to transparency.
- Social justice - Addressing the multiple injustices and forms of discriminations that exist within our communities, while empowering persons to become more resilient.
- Student responsiveness - Ensuring student development that is grounded in problem-based solutions or initiatives that address the problems that we face in our Caribbean context.
- Professionalism - In our interactions with colleagues, staff, students and stakeholders, while being collegial.