World Cocoa and Chocolate Day 2017
#ForTheLoveOfChocolate October 6-7th
World Cocoa and Chocolate Day will be celebrated with a two day ‘open-to-public’ expo involving cocoa stakeholders and well wishers. Hosted by Cocoa Research Centre this sixth annual celebration of cocoa and chocolate seeks to excite the minds of the population as to the opportunities that are as yet untapped in the local marketplace for cocoa and chocolate and showcase the vast potential the industry holds for local and regional economic diversification.
World Cocoa and Chocolate Day the brain child of the International Cocoa Organisation and the Académie Française du Chocolat et de la Confiserie, is celebrated on the 1st of October to bring greater awareness in consumers and the public of the living conditions of cocoa growers’ worldwide in an effort to build a sustainable cocoa economy. The celebration of this day by the Cocoa Research Centre of The UWI with all the cocoa stakeholders takes on a new meaning as we build the cocoa industry into a sustainable industry capable of diversifying the economy of Trinidad and Tobago and strengthening the cocoa value chain. WCCD will showcase the combined efforts of the private sector including farmers, farmer groups, processors, chocolatiers, manufacturers of soap and cosmetics, agrotourism operators, governmental organisations including the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago, The Ministries and/or state boards responsible for agriculture, tourism and their organs, InvestTT, the non-governmental sector as well as Universities, Cocoa Research Centre of The University of the West Indies as well as University of Trinidad and Tobago.
WCCD will not only create public awareness, support and pride as we build a new cocoa economy based on value addition, branding, niche marketing, but also seek to attract investment and expansion of the industry. We expect the yearly celebration to also bring greater coherence among all stakeholders in their efforts and usher in greater energy, enthusiasm and efficiency as we modernise this once great industry.
‘World Cocoa and Chocolate Day’ is on 1 October, and in 2017 will be celebrated on October 6-7 (beginning with an Opening Ceremony at JFK Lecture Theatre on October 6) at the JFK Auditorium situated within the premises of The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus. CRC invites cocoa stakeholders wishing to exhibit at this event to confirm their participation and request exhibition space by filling out the online Exhibitor Registration form.
This event is free to attend for members of the public and will feature:
- A chocolate food fest featuring the best of the chocolate-based cuisines and confectioneries; and our ever-popular exhibit,
- A chocolate fountain with the opportunity to sample chocolate-covered food items for a nominal fee (1 free sample will be given to students and pre-registered children).
- A competition fostering innovations in incorporating cocoa/chocolate into food: "Innovations in Chocolate Cuisine: A Food and Beverage Challenge".
- Cacao Dreams: Chocolate Haven. An exhibition highlighting the cocoa story, the challenges and threats, the creative efforts of local entrepreneurs and researchers, what the future should look like and information on best practices and technologies on offer.
- Signups for tours to the world's largest Universal Collection of cocoa, opportunities to sign up to learn chocolate making or to learn to become a chocolate flavour ‘connoisseur’; children's games and lots of other fun activities.
- Opportunities to win beautiful hand-crafted artwork by local artists and other prizes for the various games.
- TT Chocolate Award launch (pending confirmation)
CRC invites members of the public to celebrate this momentous occasion with us.
‘World Cocoa and Chocolate Day 2017 Expo’ will begin with an opening ceremony at 8:30am on Friday October 6th, 2017 (by invitation only) followed by the public exhibition which will begin with a Cocoa Dance in the JFK Auditorium at 11:30am (and the expo will last until 6:00pm) and from 9:30am - 5:00pm on Saturday 7th October, 2017.
2017 Event Sponsors
- Cocoa Republic (Saturday)
- Cocoa Town (pending)
Thanks to our WCCD 2016 Event Sponsors
2016 Prize Sponsors
- EasiPharm Ltd
- Rodco Home Essentials
- Fojo 3 D
- Lorenza Robinson
- Ciao Cafe
- Suite Scents
- Cryscelin CreationZ
- Persad Cocoa and Chocolate
2016 Registered Exhibitors
- Rodco Home Essentials (Soaps, Lotions, Spa Products)
- Gina's Chocolates (Truffles and bars made with local cocoa)
- JB Chocolates (Bean to bar using fine flavour Trinitario cocoa)
- Exotic Caribbean Mountain Pride (chocolate and chocolate based products)
- Fojo Design & Develop (3 D chocolate molds, chocolate designs) with...
- Lopinot Chocolates
- Jenson Enterprises
- Trinidad Chocolate Factory/House of Arendel
- Kerry's Kupcakery
- Lorenza Robinson (hand painted tiles, wood frames)
- CDCTTL with
- Alliance for Rural Communities
- Destination Chocolate
- Ciao Cafe
- Tourism Development Company (Services)
- NIHERST (Services)
- Cafe Mariposa
- Persad's Chocolate
- Suite Scents (soaps, candles etc)
- Cryscelin CreationZ
- Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries (Services)
- Arcadia Estate (Hot cocoa and chocolate gluten free cake)