Frequently Asked Questions


1.  What is the difference between applying to versus registering for a programme?


Applying to a programme refers to: 

  • candidates seeking first time enrollment
  • candidates seeking Re-entry (eg. Voluntarily Withdrawn or Required to Withdraw students)


Registering for pertains to:

  • candidates approved for admission into a programme registering for courses
  • students continuing their registration as an active student. 


2.  What are the entry requirements to start a postgraudate programme?


Please refer to our entry requirements page.


3.  What Graduate programmes are offered for this Academic Year?


Programmes being offered for the 2021/2022 academic year can be found here


4.  What is the application fee?


The NON-REFUNDABLE application processing fee must be paid as follows:

  1. Trinidad and Tobago Nationals: TT $90.00
  2. Residents of Commonwealth Caribbean Countries: US $30.00
  3. International applicants: US $30.00

 Payment instructions can be found here.


5.  How do I apply for a postgraduate degree?


Learn How to Apply here.  


6.  What documents do I need to apply for a postgraduate programme?


Documents required are found here.


7.  I submitted my application for a postgraduate programme, what is my next step?


 Click here to track your application 


8.  Where am I submitting my application's documents?

The Senior Assistant Registrar
Office of Graduate Studies and Research

Student Administration Building
The University of The West Indies
St. Augustine Campus
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. 



9.  I have forgotten my application username and password, what do I do?


Email us at 


10.  How do I know that I have been accepted into a programme?


You will get an email that states the outcome of your application in July or August and you can track your application online by logging into 


11.  Can I apply for more than one programme?


No.  Only one application will be considered at a time. 


12.  Can I switch my application?


Yes.  You can email us at or write a letter and address it to our office stating which programme you applied to and what is your preferred choice now. This is however subject to whether the switch can be facilitated at the time of your request. 


13.  I applied last year but did not take up my offer, do I have to re-apply?


Yes.  However your reference reports are valid for one year so you can request that your reports be considered with your new application. Applicants for School of Education must re-submit new reports. 


14.  How will I know that all my documents have been received for my Application?


You can track your application online by logging into 


15.  Where can I get forms to apply for postgraduate programmes?


The Application process is electronic (online) and not paper based. Learn How to Apply here.


16.  I tried to apply for a programme but that option is not coming up, why?


  • The programme is not being offered for the upcoming Academic Year. See list of offered programmes here.
  • The application period has not opened/has closed for it. Check with the Department responsible for the programme or our Office for more information.
  • You may be selecting the inappropriate option to apply for the programme (eg; New Graduate Full-time, New Graduate Part-time, and New Graduate Evening).
17.  Why was my application not accepted?


  • your application had outstanding documents,
  • your transcript was incomplete,
  • your reference reports were not supportive,
  • the programme was oversubscribed
  • your application was submitted after the deadline
  • your application did not satisfy the entry requirements
  • your research proposal could not be accommodated


Financial queries regarding postgraduate studies are to be directed to the Student Accounts Section, The Bursary, Ground Floor, Student Administration Building. Phone: 1-868-662-2002 Exts: 82137, 82356, 83370, 83379-83382, 84173-84176, 84179-84182, 82143

The Office of Graduate Studies & Research is not authorised to discuss or advise applicants or students on financial matters with the exception of scholarships and funding for MPhil/PhD candidates.

Any other questions regarding postgraduate matters should be directed to the Staff of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research in person; via e-mail or call us at 1-868-662-2002 Exts. 83064 / 82613 / 82209.



Top of Page