General FAQS for All Undergraduate Students (Full Time and Evening University):

  •  What should you do to obtain special permission to pursue additional courses beyond your maximum as a full time or evening student?

During the online registration period students can submit a request online to exceed the maximum credit limit. If approval is granted, the courses are added to the student’s registration.


  • If a student fails a course and repeats it how does this affect their GPA?

Failing a course serves to depress one’s GPA. You should therefore do all in your powers to avoid failing a course. If the course is repeated and passed, the grade obtained is also used in the calculation of one’s GPA.


  • Are students required to attend all their lectures and tutorials within a semester?

Students who attend less than 75% of lectures or tutorials may be debarred from writing the final examination. Please check the course outline for the courses you are taking to ascertain if this debarment rule will apply.


  • What happens if you get sick before an exam (e.g. midterm & final exams)?

Have a medical report completed by a doctor and submit it to the Campus’ Health Service Unit. If the medical is accepted by the Health Services Unit, then you will not be penalized. The grade AM will be assigned to the courses affected.


  • What can you do if you got sick during an exam and are unable to finish it?

The Invigilator will take any student complaining of feeling unwell during an examination to the Campus Health Service Unit for assessment. If the case is genuine, you will not be penalized in terms of your GPA. The grade FM will be assigned to the courses affected


  • How does a student request a course override (from Faculty/Department)?

Overrides must be submitted online. It is the responsibility of the student to check the Banner system to see if their override request has been approved / denied. Once approved, the student must then register for the said course(s). Please note that the Faculty personnel cannot register a student for a course, this must be done by the student him/herself.


  • How can students who get a late admission offer access academic advising?

By visiting the Departmental Office under which their programme resides.


  • What do you do if you have a question/issue of a financial nature?

Please visit the Student Accounts section at the Bursary where the matter will be sorted out.


  • Can a first year student register for level 2 and level 3 courses as electives?

Students must seek permission from their Head of Department to do this, and such request will only be granted if the relevant pre-requisites are satisfied.


  • Can students pursue cross faculty majors?

Yes, but a formal request in writing must be made to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs Admissions.


  • If students pursue enough credits in any discipline will they automatically be awarded a Minor in that discipline?

No, this will not be automatic. The requisite forms must be competed and submitted to the Dean’s Office.


  • When is a Minor declared?

Minors must be declared by the end of the registration period of the student's final semester. To declare a minor the student must complete the required form and submit it to the Dean’s Office or send a request via e mail to the Assistant Registrar - Recruitment & Enrolment, Student Affairs (Admissions). If this is not done, and if the student does not satisfy the course/credit requirements for the requested Minor, the Minor will not be awarded. For the purposes of this regulation, the end of registration means the “Add/Drop” period.


  • Can a student pursue more than one Minor concurrently?

Yes. A Minor in the Faculty of Food and Agriculture comprises 15-16 credits. A student pursuing a Major can use the 10 elective courses at level II/III to pursue up to two Minors if so desired.


  • Will a student who is registered for a Major but who completes the credit requirements for a Special be awarded the Special degree?

Not automatically. For this to happen, a request must be submitted to change from a Major to a Special. This request must be submitted in writing to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs Admissions, usually at the end of the second semester of the second year.


  • What is the process to be followed to pursue and declare a Double Major?

Student must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar - Recruitment & Enrolment, Student Affairs (Admissions) seeking approval to pursue a Double Major. This request must be submitted prior to the start of the final year of study.


  • How can a student change from one Department/Major after beginning a degree programme?

To change an option (major), a student must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs Admissions seeking approval and this must be done during the second semester of his/her first year of study.


  • If a student has a GPA below 2.0 after completing all their degree courses will he/she be awarded a degree?

No. In order to qualify for the award of a degree a student must:

  1. have completed a minimum of ninety (93) credits or the required total as stated in Table 3
  2. have attained a minimum GPA of 2.0 from Level II and III courses.


  • What is a Dean’s hold?

A Dean’s hold is placed on a student’s record when his/her GPA is below 2.0 in a semester. At this stage the student is placed on a Warning for the next semester.


  • What does a student do if he/she is placed on a warning?

A student is placed on Warning when their GPA is below 2.0. To remove the Dean’s hold the student must visit the Dean’s Office to be advised and then the hold is removed to permit registration.


  • What is RTW status?

A student is placed on RTW status after two consecutive semesters of GPA below 2.0. A student on RTW status must stay out of the University system for one academic year and then apply for re-entry to the University (the application period is normally November to January for Full-time students and January to March for Evening University students).


  • When a student returns to Campus after he/she was required to withdraw will their current GPA be counted?

If the re-entry student registers for a new programme then the GPA record will start anew. If, on the other hand, the re-entry student continues in the programme he/she was pursuing prior to the RTW then the academic record continues.


  • What are students’ options if they are required to withdraw?

They can seek to meet with the Dean and to outline a plan to improve their academic standing. A decision will then be made as to whether the RTW can be deferred for a semester.


  • How does the GPA affect GATE coverage for tuition?

A student with an OVERALL GPA of less than 2.0 will not be eligible for GATE. If the student brings the GPA up to 2.0 after Semester I, they can seek to get GATE approval for Semester II.


  • Are there circumstances in which a pre-requisite can be waived?

Only in compelling circumstances and only the Dean can approve such a request.


  • How does a student apply for an exemption based on courses completed at another institution of higher learning?

A student must complete the requisite Credit and Exemptions application form and attach the relevant course outlines from the institution where credits were attained. This request must be submitted to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs Admissions.


  • What is the difference between a consultation and a remarking of an examination script?

A consultation is a review of the script by the Examiner/Lecturer with the candidate. Consultations are only permitted to students who have failed the course. In the case of a remarking, the script is remarked by a new examiner. Marks can be changed (either up or down) and the new mark awarded becomes the final mark.


  • What steps must be taken to request a consultation or a remarking of an examination script?
  1. A student who is dissatisfied with the results of his/her examination should report his/her dissatisfaction in writing to the Campus Registrar. Such a report must be made within two weeks of publication of results, and in the case of the Supplemental/Summer School or resit examinations within five days of the publication of results.
  2. The Campus Registrar shall forward the student’s request to the Dean of the Faculty concerned.
  3. Only students who have failed a course may request consultation to go through his/her script with the Examiner; (utilizing an approved electronic teleconferencing system if necessary)
  4. Students may request to have their scripts remarked. A student who wishes to have his/her script remarked must pay a fee of Bds$125.00 or J$2000.00 or TT$375.00, or US$62.50 (according to campus) to have his/her script re-marked by a new Examiner.
  5. Where re-marking of a script results in a higher mark than that previously recorded, the fee shall be refunded provided that the increased mark results in a change of grade.


  • If students pursue a foreign language that is not required for their degree at the Centre for Language and Learning (CLL) can they get credit for it to count toward their degree credits?

Yes, but only to satisfy elective course requirements.


  • Will Foundation courses affect a student’s GPA?

From the 2014/2015 academic year students will be awarded grades for their Foundation courses and these will be included in the calculation of the cumulative  GPA  in addition to the semester GPA.   Which determines academic standing (Warning, RTW and Good Standing),  and subsequently  GATE status.


  • How many co-curricular courses/credits are students permitted to register for during their degree programmes?

A student can pursue a maximum of 3 co-curricular credits.


  • Do co-curricular courses/credits count towards degree requirements?

Co-curricular courses credits can be used to meet Level I credit requirements.


  • What co-curricular courses are offered?

To learn more about the Co-Curricular Programme at the St. Augustine Campus and to see the list of courses currently offered, visit


  • How can you determine if you are on the right track in satisfying your degree requirements?

Complete the Degree Audit form at the Dean’s Office and see an advisor.


  • Where can students access their time table for each semester and for final examinations?

Semester timetables are available on the UWI website. Final examinations timetables are available in students’ “mysta” accounts. 


  • Do Evening students have to pay for summer courses?

Trinidad and Tobago nationals registered in the Evening University are covered by GATE for the summer semester.


  • What is the maximum or minimum number of courses Evening students can register for in a semester?

Minimum number of courses – 2

Maximum number of courses – 4


  • Can an Evening student pursue a Double Major?

Yes. Students must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar - Recruitment & Enrolment, Student Affairs (Admissions) seeking approval to pursue a Double Major. This request must be submitted prior to the start of the final year of study.


  • Can an Evening student change his/her status of enrolment (e.g. change from evening to day/full time)?

Yes. Students must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar - Recruitment & Enrolment, Student Affairs (Admissions) seeking approval to change their status from Evening to Fulltime.


  • Where can students obtain their Faculty handbook?

Handbooks are available online at


  • Where can students access their time-table for each semester and for final examinations?

​Semester timetables are available online at . To access your examination schedule follow the instructions online at .


  • How long can Evening students take to complete their degrees?

A maximum of seven and a half years (fifteen semesters and seven summer School sessions)


  • Can Evening students register for courses outside their Faculty for electives in an Evening programme?

Yes, but approval by the Dean of the Faculty offering the course must be obtained.


Top of Page