Students will be considered for the MPhil/PhD programmes if they satisfy the following criteria:
1. Entry Requirements
Candidates for the M.Phil. in Education degree are required to submit their theses for examination within 3 years of their initial registration for full-time studies or, within 5 years of their initial registration for part-time studies.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Upper Second Class Honours or above) and a
- Master of Education degree with at least a B+ average.
Candidates seeking entry to the Ph.D. in Education degree programme should hold
- Master of Education with Distinction or
- M.Phil. in Education, or any equivalent qualification.
Students who are deemed generally acceptable but deficient in knowledge of particular aspects of the subject concerned may be required to follow courses specified by the Campus Committee on the recommendation of the Head of Department.
2. Time Limits for Registration
Candidates for the Ph.D. in Education degree are required to submit their theses for examination within 5 years of their initial registration for full-time studies or, within 7 years of their initial registration for part-time studies.
3. Programme of Study
- For students enrolled in an M.Phil. degree, a minimum of 6 credits should be taken through courses.
- For students enrolled in a Ph.D. programme, a minimum of 9 credits should be taken through courses.
- Graduate Research Seminars
- Students enrolled for an M.Phil. degree must satisfactorily complete at least two research seminars, to be convened by the relevant Head of Department, prior to the submission of their M.Phil. thesis.
- Students enrolled for a Ph.D. degree must satisfactorily complete three such seminars.
4. Examination of Thesis
Entry for examination of thesis
- A candidate must submit for the approval of the Campus Committee, the exact title of his or her thesis at the time when he or she applies for entry to the examination. An approved thesis title may not be changed except with the permission of the Campus Committee.
- A candidate must have completed their seminars:
- The M.Phil. candidate must have satisfactorily completed two (2) seminars before applying for the examination of the thesis.
- The Ph.D. candidate must have satisfactorily completed three (3) seminars before applying for the examination of the thesis.
- The candidate must apply to enter for the examination by thesis on the prescribed form not less than three months before the expected date of submission of the thesis. The application must be accompanied by the required examination fee.
5. Upgrade from M.Phil. in Education to the Ph.D. in Education:
- A candidate who is registered for the MPhil degree may apply, after a period of one year (Full-Time) or two years (Part-time) from the date of initial registration and at any time thereafter within a total period of three years (Full-Time) or five years (Part-Time) from the initial registration, for upgrading of his/her registration to the PhD.
- Applicants should have completed ALL DEPARTMENTAL COURSEWORK REQUIREMENTS and the GRADUATE RESEARCH SEMINARS by this time.
6. Procedural Guidelines for MPhil to PhD upgrade
- The student should consult with his/her Supervisor before applying.
- The student must make a formal request to the Senior Assistant Registrar, School for Graduate Studies and Research.
- This application must be accompanied by the Supervisor’s written report which should indicate why he/she considers the student to be outstanding and whether in his/her opinion the work can be developed to the level of the Ph.D.
Chair, Subcommittee for Graduate Studies and Research: Dr. Susan Herbert
Email address: Susan.Herbert@sta.uwi.edu
Tel. Contact: 662-2002, ext. 82211 / 83815
Administrative Assistant Contact:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. Contact: 662-2002, ext. 82227