Dr Nazir's research interests are related to the areas of science education, environmental education, and teacher education. With respect to science education she is interested in the teaching and learning of science beyond its traditional content, especially explorations of how science and technology intersect with societies and environments (STSE education). In environmental education Dr Nazir has explored the interfaces between outdoor and environmental education. She is currently interested in building capacity for environmental education within teacher education contexts.
- Nazir J., & Pedretti E. (2018). Environmental education as/for environmental consciousness raising: Insights from an Ontario outdoor education centre. In: G. Reis, J. & Scott (Eds.) International Perspectives on the Theory and Practice of Environmental Education: A Reader. Environmental Discourses in Science Education, vol 3 (pp.85-98). Cham: Springer.
- Nazir, J. (2016). Using phenomenology to conduct environmental education research: Experience and issues. The Journal of Environmental Education. 47(3) 179-190. DOI:10.1080/00958964.2015.1063473.
- Nazir, J., & Pedretti, E. (2016). Educators’ perceptions of bringing students to environmental consciousness through engaging outdoor experiences. Environmental Education Research, 22(2), 288-304, DOI: 10.1080/13504622.2014.996208.
- Pedretti, E., & Nazir, J. (2015). Science, technology and society (STS). In R. Gunstone (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Science Education (pp.932-935). Heidelberg, New York, London: Springer Dordrecht.
- Blum, N., Nazir, J., Breiting, S. Goh, K.C., & Pedretti, E. (2013). Balancing the tensions and meeting the conceptual challenges of education for sustainable development and climate change. Environmental Education Research, 19(2), 2016-217.
- Nazir, J. (2019, February). Conceptualizing environmental education as environmental consciousness raising. Paper presented at the UWI Schools of Education Biennial Conference, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Nazir, J., Pluim, G., & Wallace, J. (2017, May). Multiple perspectives on curriculum integration: Sociological, philosophical and political considerations. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education, Toronto, ON.
- Nazir, J. (2016, June). Environmental education in a Christian pre-service teacher education program. Paper presented at the 1st National Roundtable on Preservice Education for Environmental and Sustainability Education, Trent, ON.
- Pedretti, E., Navas, A.M., & Nazir, J. (2015, May). “I was asked to attend but I said, ‘No’”: Non-visitors of the body world exhibit. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education, Ottawa, ON.
- Nazir, J., Pedretti, E., & Wallace, J. (2014, October). Using phenomenology to conduct environmental education research: Experience and issues. Paper presented at the annual research symposium of the North American Association for Environmental Education, Ottawa, ON.
- Pedretti, E., Navas, A.M., & Nazir, J. (2014, May). Critical exhibits and public engagement: Challenges and Possibilities. Paper presented at the 13th International Public Communication of Science and Technology Conference, Salvador, Brazil.
- Nazir, J. & Pedretti, E. (2014, April). Bringing students to environmental consciousness through engaging outdoor experiences. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, PA.
Dr Nazir's Publications and Conferences can be viewed at this link: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joanne_Nazir .
Statistics demonstrating the impact of Dr. Nazir’s work can be found at the following sites:
Google Scholar- https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=r2nAOvsAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate- https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joanne_Nazir