The Department of Life Sciences
The Department of Life Sciences has a history dating back to 1922. The DLS currently offers three-year B.Sc. degree programmes in Biology with specializations and in Environmental Science and Sustainable Technology, and majors in biochemistry, biology, and environmental science; M.Sc. programmes, including the Diploma/M.Sc. in Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Development in the Caribbean; and M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in a wide range of disciplinary areas in life sciences.
Our research thrust is in the areas of ecology and management of tropical habitats, conservation of biodiversity, biotechnology and genetic improvement and integrated management of tropical pests and parasitoids.
The DLS has a substantial research staff specialising in a number of disciplinary areas in life science, with research facilities in the major thrust areas, and encourages collaborative research and visiting scientists.
We provide consultancy services in the area of ecology and management of tropical environments, identification of plant and animal specimens, toxicology, aquaculture, microbiology, and plant tissue culture.
In the news
- Researching the 'River Lime' Effect - Dr. Amy Deacon (19.11.15)
- 2015 Bioblitz (Charlotteville) (12.11.15)
- New species of millipede discovered - Mr. Mike Rutherford (15.10.15)
- New Head of Department, new programmes, new facilities, etc. (29.6.15)
- Open Days - come and meet us on 16-18 June, from 9am-6pm (9.6.15)
- 5th DLS Annual Research Symposium - report (15.4.15)
- Seminar - Dr Caroline Chaboo, University of Kansas (16.3.15)
- Seminar - Prof. Bradley Walters, Mount Allison University, Canada (12.3.15)
- GoLoCarSce Climate Change Workshop on Scenario Development (4-5.3.15)
- 5th DLS Annual Research Symposium, 16-20.3.15 (12.2.15)
- Seminar - Prof. Harry Lehto, University of Helsinki (12.2.15)
- Mosquito control and chikungunya - Prof. Dave Chadee (2.2.15)
- Seminar - Prof. Anthony Moore, University of Sussex (29.1.15)
- NIHERST Award for Excellence - Dr Judith Gobin (10.1.15)
- Workshop on Advanced Genomics, Metagenomics and Bioinformatics (6.1.15)
- 5 New Blood Lectureships in DLS, applications close 15.1.15 (15.12.14)
- Rhodes Scholar - Cherrelle Dacon (BSc Biochemistry Major 2014) (12.12.14)
- TWAS-LAC Award 2014 - Dr Sephra Rampersad (8.12.14)
- Mini-Workshop on Natural Product Antimicrobials (18.11.14)
- 2014 Bioblitz (Nariva Swamp) - first results (3.11.14)
- Visiting researcher - Dr Amy Deacon (16.10.14)
- Student prize winners 2013-2014 (15.10.14)
- Researching deep sea life - Dr Judith Gobin (10.10.14)
- Research Awards for DLS (1.10.14)
- Premium Teaching Award - Mr Jason Matthew (29.9.14)
- Seminar - Prof. David Reznick, University of California, Riverside (18.9.14)
- Vice-Chancellor's Departmental Award for Excellence (15.8.14)