back to member listing
Professor in Veterinary Virology,
Faculty of Medical Sciences,
University of the West Indies,
St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Tel.: + 1-868-645-3232 (ext 4220) (Office)
Fax.: +1-868-645-7428 (Fax)
E mail: email@example.com
School of Veterinary Medicine
Faculty of Medical Sciences
Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex
Uriah Butler Highway, Champ Fleurs
Trinidad, West Indies
I am a Professor of Veterinary Virology in the Department of Basic Veterinary Sciences at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of the West Indies, where I am leading a ‘One-Health’- based research programme concentrating on zoonotic and animal pathogens of importance within the Caribbean region.
1994 – 1997 PhD: Immunology Department, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Surrey, UK.
1991 – 1992 MSc in Tropical Veterinary Science, Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Edinburgh University, UK.
1983 – 1988 B Vet Med: Royal Veterinary College, London University, London, UK.
- Veterinary Virology, emerging infectious diseases.
- Molecular diagnostics.
- Virus discovery and evolution.
- Vector-borne viral diseases.
- Molecular parasitology (haemoparasites).
- Population genetics and molecular epidemiology.
- One Health
- The UWI-Trinidad and Tobago Research and Development Impact Fund (RDI) (TT$800,000). Title: Identification of priority avian and swine viruses in Trinidad and Tobago. Jan 2012- Jan 2016.
- The UWI Research and Publications fund (TT$ 56,250). Title: Identification of Eimeria species in Trinidadian poultry using molecular tools.
- European Commission (EC) African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) S&T-II grant (Euros 1,164,364). Title: One Health, One Caribbean, One Love March 2014- June 2017.
- Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) – Funding from the SPS EDF Project to support the activities of the One Health One Caribbean One Love project (US$ 332,821), Jan 2015 – Dec 2017.
- Nestle (Trinidad) (TT$ 5000). Title: Assessing the causes of sub-fertility and abortion in dairy cattle in Trinidad.
- Livestock and Livestock Products Board (Trinidad) (TT$ 30,000) Title: Identification of Culicoides species and related viruses in Trinidad and Tobago. Jan 2014 – Dec 2017.
Chris Oura, James Wood, Anna Sanders, Abid Bin-Tarif, Mark Henstock, Lorraine Edwards, Toby Floyd, Hugh Simmons, Carrie Batten (2009) Seroconversion, Neutralising Antibodies and Protection in Bluetongue Serotype 8 Vaccinated Sheep. Vaccine. 27, 7326–7330.
C. A. L. Oura, A. Tait, B. Asiimwe. G.W. Lubega and W. Weir (2011) Haemoparasite prevalence and Theileria parva strain diversity in Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer) in Uganda. Veterinary Parasitology, 2011 Feb 10;175 (3-4):212-9.
C A L Oura, Philip Ivens, Katarzyna Bachanek-Bankowska, Abid Bin-Tarif, Demba B Jallow, Corinne Sailleau, Sushila Maan, Peter Mertens, Carrie Batten. (2012) African Horse Sickness in the Gambia: Circulation of a live attenuated vaccine-derived strain. Epidemiology and Infection, 140, issue 11, pp. 1982-1986.
Tuppurainen E.S, Lubinga J.C, Stoltsz W.H, Troskie M, Carpenter S.T, Coetzer J.A, Venter E.H, Oura C.A.L (2012) Mechanical transmission of lumpy skin disease virus by Rhipicephalus appendiculatus male ticks" Epidemiology and Infection, 141, 2, 425-430.
Batten CA, Henstock MR, Steedman HM, Waddington S, Edwards L, Oura C.A.L. (2013) Bluetongue virus serotype 26: Infection kinetics, pathogenesis and possible contact transmission in goats. Vet Microbiol. 2013 Feb 22; 162(1):62-7.
C.A Batten, K. Darpel, M.R. Henstock, P.Fay, E. Veronesi, S. Gubbins, S. Waddington, L. Edwards and C.A.L. Oura (2014) Evidence for transmission of bluetongue virus serotype 26 through direct contact. PLoS One. 2014 May 5; 9(5):e96049. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0096049
Oura C.A.L. (2014) A One Health approach to the control of zoonotic vector-borne pathogens. Veterinary Record, 2014 Apr 19; 174 (16):398-402. doi: 10.1136/vr.g2539.
Batten C, Frost L, Oura C. (2014) Real-time reverse transcriptase PCR for the detection of bluetongue virus. Methods Mol. Biol. Dec 2014;1247:125-3
Gari G, Abie G, Gizaw D, Wubete A, Kidane M, Asgedom H, Bayissa B, Ayelet G, Oura CA, Roger F, Tuppurainen ES (2015): Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of three Capripoxvirus vaccine strains against Lumpy skin disease virus Vaccine. 2015 Jun 22; 33(28):3256-61
Karin E. Darpel, James Barber, Andrew Hope, Anthony J. Wilson, Simon Gubbins, Mark Henstock, Lorraine Frost, Carrie Batten, Eva Veronesi, Katy Moffat, Simon Carpenter, Chris Oura, Philip S. Mellor, Peter P.C. Mertens (2016). Using shared needles for subcutaneous inoculation can transmit bluetongue virus mechanically between ruminant hosts, Scientific Reports | 6:20627 | DOI: 10.1038/srep20627.
click here to view the full publication list
LIST SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP AND ANY OTHER RELEVANT INTERESTS.
- Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Member of the Science Advisory Board, OIE, Paris.
- Member of the Veterinary Research Club, UK.
- Member – Bluetongue Expert group for the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
- Head - Bluetongue Expert Group, Discontools EC Project.
Research Gate Profile