- PhD. Candidate Environmental Biology [Medical Entomology], UWI-STA, 2019-2024
- MSc. Biotechnology(part-time) [with Distinction], UWI-STA, 2015-2019
- BSc. Biology with specializations in Biotechnology and Zoology, UWI-STA, 2012-2015
Programme: PhD Environment Biology
Supervisors: Dr. Azad Mohammed, Dr. Russel Ramsewak.
Academic Advisory Committee: Dr. Adesh Ramsubhag, Dr. Molly Duman-Scheel, Dr. Terry Mohammed.
Project Title: ‘Biopesticides for control of mosquitoes’
Keywords: mosquitoes, vector-borne diseases, medical entomology, public health, chemical pesticides, biopesticides, ecotoxicology
- Research Consultant, “Field Assessment of Yeast Interfering RNA Larvicides Targeting Zika Vector Mosquitoes in Belize” – Aedes aegypti, the University of the West Indies in Collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the University of Notre Dame and University of Indiana, 2018-Present
- Biology Laboratory Demonstrator- Teaching the Lab-based component of courses in the field of Biotechnology, Zoology, Microbiology, Biochemistry and Plant Sciences, 2018-Present
- Microbiology Technician Trainee- Mycology Laboratory, FST-UWI-STA, 2016-2018.
- Veterinary Technician Trainee- Mt. Hope Small Animal Clinic, 2014.
Publications and Reports
Stewart, Akilah TM, Nikhella Winter, Jessica Igiede, Limb K. Hapairai, Lester D. James, Rachel Shui Feng, Azad Mohammed, David W. Severson, and Molly Duman-Scheel. "Community acceptance of yeast interfering RNA larvicide technology for control of Aedes mosquitoes in Trinidad." PloS one 15, no. 8 (2020): e0237675.
Winter, N., A. Stewart and R. Ali (2017) Microbiology Group Report, General Report, Icacos BioBlitz 2017, The Field Naturalist, Quarterly Bulletin of the Trinidad and Tobago Field Naturalists’ Club, October - December, 2017, Issue No. 4/2017, pg 19.
Winter, N., A. Stewart and R. Ali (2016) Microbiology Group Report, General Report, Port-of-Spain BioBlitz 2016, The Field Naturalist, Quarterly Bulletin of the Trinidad and Tobago Field Naturalists’ Club, October - December, 2016, Issue No. 4/2016, pg 19
Awards and Scholarships
- Elaine Browne Memorial Bursary Award for Academic Excellence, Trinidad and Tobago Teachers’ Credit Union, 2014.
Workshop-“The healers and killers-understanding the plant bioactive compounds.”
Workshop-Entomological Society of America; International Branch Virtual Symposium
Medical Conference- One Poster Abstract submitted to The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 69th Annual Meeting, November 15-19, 2020, Metro Toronto Convention Centre Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Certificate- Foundations of Public Health Practice: Specialization by the Imperial College London (Coursera)
Workshop- Introduction to Diagnosis, Molecular Biology and PCR for the Covid-19 Laboratory Response (PAHO, CARPHA, UWI)
Certificate- BSAFE (United Nations Department of Safety and Security)
Medical Conference- Two(2) Poster presentations at The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68th Annual Meeting, November 20-24, Maryland USA
An assessment of community acceptance of yeast interfering RNA baited ovitraps as a biorational means of control for Aedes mosquitoes in Trinidad
Community acceptance of yeast interfering RNA larvicide technology for control of Aedes mosquitoes in Trinidad
Certificate- RCR Bioethics
Certificate- Field Applications for Stopping Infectious Disease Threats in International Points of Entry by ACGH(CDC,WHO,ASTMH)
- Entomological Society of America (ESA)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene