PhD Candidate Microbiology - The University of the West Indies St. Augustine (2018-Present)
M.Phil Candidate in Microbiology - The University of the West Indies St. Augustine
B.Sc. (Hons) – Double Major in Biology and Environmental and Natural Resource Management - The University of the West Indies St. Augustine (2012 - 2015)
- Research Associate, The University of the West Indies (2019 – Present)
- Demonstrator, The University of the West Indies (September 2016 - present)
- Invigilator, The University of the West Indies (December 2015, and May, July 2016)
- Environmental Health and Safety Unit trainee, Ministry of Works and Infrastructure (June-September 2014 and June-September 2015)
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- Ali, Omar, Adesh Ramsubhag, and Jayaraj Jayaraman. 2019. “Biostimulatory Activities of Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract in Tomato and Sweet Pepper Crops in a Tropical Environment.” PLoS ONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216710.
- Ali, Omar, Adesh Ramsubhag, and Jayaraj Jayaraman. 2018. “Ascophyllum nodosum (Linnaeus) Le Jolis seaweed extract improves seed germination in tomato and sweet pepper under NaCl-induced salt stress.” Tropical Agriculture. 95 (Special issue 2):141-148
Supervision of research students
- Madhavi Dookie (M.Sc. Biotechnology)- Effect of seaweed extracts on flowering in tomato.
- Taylor-Marie Ramdin (M.Sc. Biotechnology)- Effect of seaweed extracts on crops grown under aeroponics, aquaponics and hydroponics systems.
- Shivana Narine (M.Sc. Biotechnology)- Identification of potential plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria for use in integrated disease management
- Nyzal Poy Wing (M.Sc. Biotechnology)- Novel nanoparticle discovery for sustainable crop management practices.
- Christianne Zakour (ESST 3004 Capstone Project) - Study of bacterial flora associated with mobile phone screens in UWI
- Videsh arjoonsingh (ESST 3004 Capstone Project) - Indoor air quality testing via microbial enumeration
- Aquila Malcolm (ESST 3004 Capstone Project) – Enumeration of coliforms and pesticide-resistant bacteria on surfaces of vegetable crops including, tomato, sweet pepper and lettuce.
- Andrea Redoy, Dana Samaroo, Daniel Halliday, Shamika Woods (BIOL 3162) - Composting of Sargassum spp.
- Research involved in utilizing Trinidadian seaweeds to develop formulations for crop production
- Composting of Sargassum for crop production
- Screening of nano-particles for agricultural application in tropical regions
- Conducting tests utilizing a commercial seaweed extract provided by Acadian Seaplants Ltd. Darthmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada for its efficacies in agriculture in tropical environments
- Plant RNA sequencing to identify novel genes and pathways
- Microbial profiling through next-generation metagenomic sequencing
- RNA and metagenomic (16s rRNA and ITS) sequence data analysis
- UWI Postgraduate Scholarship
- 3rd Place Postgraduate Poster Proposal (6th Annual Research Symposium, Department of Life Sciences, FST, UWI- 2006)
- UWI Campus Research and Publication Fund
- 6th Annual Research Symposium, Department of Life Sciences, FST, UWI (2016)
- International Conference on Integrated Disease Management in Tropical Vegetables, Dept. of Life Sciences, FST, UWI-St. Augustine (June 2016)
- The Social Determinants of Health, Climate Change & Public Health Internship Program for Caribbean Secondary School Students 2016
- Workshop on Bacterial antibiotic resistance and new molecular methods for identification of antibiotic resistance (Aug 2016)
- 7th Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Science and Technology, UWI (2016)
- An Introduction to Laboratory Diagnosis, Molecular Biology and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) for the COVID-19 Laboratory Response (April 2020)
- Microsoft Access, PowerPoint, Word & Excel certification (2013 – Microsoft IT Academy)
- Diploma in Food safety - Alison/Online (2014)
- Certificate in Bioinformatic Methods I (University of Toronto- Online 2016)
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED (fd25a6e4b9df – 2017)
- Advanced Bioinformatics and NGS-RNASeq. Ref. Based, Denovo Based and 16srRNA Metagenomics (ArrayGen - 2019)