Nov 2015 - Oct 2016
In an effort to strengthen the Community Engagement Programme at the St. Augustine Campus, Professor John Michael Cuyjet, Professor Emeritus in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Louisville was engaged as a Senior Specialist under the US Fulbright Specialist Programme from November 2015 to October 2016.
Prof. Michael Cuyjet contributed his skills and knowledge particularly to the areas of Service Learning and Community Service. During his three visits on November 7th -20th 2015, February 20th- March 4th 2016 and October 1st -14th 2016, he was tasked with assisting the Office of Community Engagement in the development of its roles and functions, improving systems for monitoring and evaluating community engagement activities, and assisting in the development of awareness and understanding of the concept of community engagement at all levels of the campus community.
Through this intervention a number of draft documents related to Community Engagement programme were produced:
- A student code of ethics.
- A manual for the development of Community Engagement and Service Learning activities.
- A memorandum of understanding between UWI and Community-Based/Other organizations
- Community Engagement and Service Learning concepts and definitions.
- Terms of Reference for Advocates for Community Engagement (ACE) students.
- Forms for tracking and monitoring community service activities.