Deputy Principal's Student Online System

Student Online System Brochure

Download the SOS Brochure, a helpful, easy-to-read guide for using our online system.

About the Student Online System

This system is available to all Undergraduate and Post-Graduate students in all faculties.

Want to know if your Student Matter qualifies to be entered into the Deputy Principal's Student Online System?

Ask yourself the following question:

Did I take my concern to the relevant presonnel for resolution? Example, Faculty Deputy Dean (Student Matters), Head of Department or Administrative Assistant or personnel in Administration responsible for the specific matter?

If all efforts to resolve your issue using all avenues are exhausted ONLY then you should use the Deputy Principal's Student Online System (SOS).

How do I apply for the services offered through SOS?

  • Log on to
  • Go to mySecureArea
  • Click on "Student and Financial Aid" tab
  • Select Student Online System
  • Click on Post a New Application for Student Request to Deputy Principal
  • Select the most suitable category from the drop down menu for Last Request
  • Enter your student issue in the box provided
  • Click submit

Will I have to submit any additional documents?

Students may be required to provide supporting documents where applicable, according to the nature of your request. (Example: death certificate, medical certificate, payment receipt, etc.)

How will I know if my student matter is received by the Deputy Principal?

Once your request/concern is submitted, a confirmation email will be sent to your official UWI student email with a tracking number.

How do I track my request/concern?

  • Log on to
  • Go to mySecureArea
  • Click on "Student and Financial Aid" tab
  • Then click on the Deputy Principal's Student Online System
  • Click on the Reference number to view any updates to your request/concern

How will I be notified of the final decision of my student matter?

All updates will be communicated to applicants via their official UWI student email. Based on the nature of the issue, students may also be contacted by official University correspondence or telephone.

How long will I have to wait for a response?

Once submitted, you will receive an automatic email response.

Who can I contact for more information on the Student Online System?

Please contact the Administrative Assistant - Student Matters at the Deputy Principal's Office (662-2002 Ext. 84317) or email