Brief History of the Mediation Unit
The Mediation Studies programme is a relatively new programme which was initially started in 2003. The programme came into being in 2003 as a response to local community requests made to the then Head of Department of Behavioural Sciences, Dr Hamid Ghany, for training in mediation services. This initiative was then developed through the collaboration of the Social Work Unit of the Department of Behavioural Sciences and the University of Denver. The programmes are self-financing programmes and include a Post-Graduate Diploma in Mediation (2003), a Master’s in Mediation (2006) and public training. As of 2009, all programmes are certified by the Mediation Board of Trinidad and Tobago.
Both the Postgraduate Diploma in Mediation Studies are taught through the Department of Behavioural Sciences, St Augustine Campus, UWI and are self-financing programmes. Mediation studies play a key role in building networks of experts in mediation who can then serve as trainers, teachers and supervisors in establishing the conflict resolution field and education/training services in Trinidad and Tobago.
To create a network of experts in the field of Mediation and Conflict Resolution to enhance occupational and social environments by developing competencies in core areas of Conflict Resolution, ADR and Mediation processes in students.
To be the number one (1) provider of Conflict Resolution skills and services in Trinidad and Tobago and in the Caribbean Region.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of the Post-Graduate Diploma and MSc in Mediation Studies are:
1. To educate professionals in the theory and practice of mediation
2. To equip programme participants with the requisite skills base for effective practice in Community
Mediation Centers and other conflict resolution and negotiation positions and agencies in the region.
3. To promote a culture of peaceful, and non-violent, solution-seeking approaches to disputes.
4. To develop expertise and capacity in the mediation field
5. To facilitate the growth of the knowledge base required for ongoing training and supervision in Mediation at the University of the West Indies, and in agencies in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Mrs. Ann Diaz - Programme Coordinator