During the online registration period students can submit a request online to exceed the maximum credit limit.  If approval is granted, the courses are added to the student’s registration.


Yes, this can be done but such requests will only be entertained in respect of elective courses.


Failing a course serves to depress one’s GPA. You should therefore do all in your powers to avoid failing a course. If the course is repeated and passed, the grade obtained is also used in the calculation of one’s GPA.


Students who attend less than 75% of lectures or tutorials may be debarred from writing the final examination. Please check the course outline for the courses you are taking to ascertain if this debarment rule will apply.


Have a medical report completed by a doctor and submit it to the Campus’ Health Services Unit. If the medical is accepted by the Health Services Unit, then you will not be penalized. The grade AM will be assigned to the courses affected.


The Invigilator will take any student complaining of feeling unwell during an examination to the Campus Health Services Unit for assessment. If the case is genuine, you will not be penalized in terms of your GPA. The grade FM will be assigned to the courses affected


Overrides must be submitted online. It is the responsibility of the student to check the Banner system to see if their override request has been approved / denied.   Once approved, the student must then register for the said course(s). Please note that the Faculty personnel cannot register a student for a course, this must be done by the student him/herself.


By visiting the Departmental Office under which their programme resides.


Please visit the Student Accounts section at the Bursary where the matter will be sorted out.


Students must seek permission from their Head of Department to do this, and such requests will only be granted if the relevant pre-requisites are satisfied.


Yes, but a formal request in writing must be made to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs-Admissions.


No, this will not be automatic. The requisite forms must be completed and submitted to the Dean’s Office.


Minors must be declared by the end of the registration period of the student's final semester.   To declare a Minor the student must complete the required form and submit it to the Dean’s Office.  If this is not done, and if the student does not satisfy the course/credit requirements for the requested Minor, the Minor will not be awarded.  For the purposes of this regulation, the end of registration means the “Add/Drop” period.  


Yes. A Minor in the Faculty of Social Sciences comprises15 credits.  A student pursuing a Major can use the 10 elective courses at level II/III to pursue up to two Minors if so desired.


Not automatically. For this to happen, a request must be submitted to change from a Major to a Special. This request must be submitted in writing to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs-Admissions, usually at the end of the second semester of the second year.


Students must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs- Admissions seeking approval to pursue a double Major. This request must be submitted prior to the start of the final year of study.


To change an option (major), a student must write to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs- Admissions seeking approval and this must be done during the second semester of his/her first year of study.


No.  In order to qualify for the award of a degree a student must:          

a.   have completed a minimum of ninety (90) credits (normally equivalent to thirty (30) semester courses) of which:

      i.      at least thirty (30) credits are from Level I semester courses (including the Foundation course  requirements), and

      ii.     at least sixty (60) credits from Levels II and III semester courses.

b.   have satisfied the requirements for their specific degree programmes.

c.   have attained a minimum GPA of 2.0 from Level II and III courses.


A Dean’s Hold is placed on a student’s record when his/her GPA is below 2.0 in a semester.  At this stage the student is placed on a Warning for the next semester.


A student is placed on Warning when their GPA is below 2.0 .  To remove the Dean’s Hold the student must visit the Dean’s Office to be advised and then the Hold is removed to permit registration.


A student is placed on RTW status after two consecutive semesters of GPA below 2.0. A student on RTW status must stay out of the University system for one academic year and then apply for re-entry to the University (the application period is normally November to January for Full-time students and January to March for Evening University students).


If the re-entry student registers for a new programme then the GPA record will start anew. If, on the other hand, the re-entry student continues in the programme he/she was pursuing prior to the RTW then the academic record continues.


They can seek to meet with the Dean and to outline a plan to improve their academic standing. A decision will then be made as to whether the RTW can be deferred for a semester.


A student with an overall GPA of less than 2.0 will not be eligible for GATE.  If the student brings the GPA up to 2.0 after Semester I, they can seek to get GATE approval for Semester II.


Only in compelling circumstances and only the Dean can approve such a request.


A student must complete the requisite Credit and Exemptions application form and attach the relevant course outlines from the institution where credits were attained.  This request must be submitted to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs-Admissions.


A consultation is a review of the script by the Examiner/Lecturer with the candidate. Consultations are only permitted to students who have failed the course.

In the case of a remarking, the script is remarked by a new examiner. Marks can be changed (either up or down) and the new mark awarded becomes the final mark.


A student who is dissatisfied with the results of his/her examination should report his/her dissatisfaction in writing to the Campus Registrar. Such a report must be made within two weeks of publication of results, and in the case of the Supplemental/Summer School or resit examinations within five days of the publication of results. 

The Campus Registrar shall forward the student’s request to the Dean of the Faculty concerned.

Only students who have failed a course may request consultation to go through his/her script with the Examiner; (utilizing an approved electronic teleconferencing system if necessary)

Students may request to have their scripts remarked. A student who wishes to have his/her script remarked must pay a fee of Bds$125.00 or J$2000.00 or TT$375.00, or US$62.50 (according to campus) to have his/her script re-marked by a new Examiner.

Where re-marking of a script results in a higher mark than that previously recorded, the fee shall be refunded provided that the increased mark results in a change of grade.


Yes, but only to satisfy elective course requirements.


Students will be awarded grades for their Foundation courses and these will be included in the calculation of the GPA for the determination of Warning, RTW, GATE and the determination of Level I prizes.


A student can pursue a maximum of 3 co-curricular credits.


Co-curricular courses/credits can be used to meet Level I credit requirements.


COCR 1012    Workplace Protocol for Students

COCR 1001    Minding SPEC                                   

COCR 1031    Managing My High (MY High): Alcohol, Drugs and Addictive Behaviours  

COCR 1030    Technology Literacy

COCR 1032    Living and Learning: Professional Development through Community Service

COCR 1025-1029 Microsoft Office 2010

COCR 1033    Mind the Gap: Towards Psychological Health & Wellness

COCR 1034    Public Speaking and Voice Training: Towards a More Confident You         

COCR 1013     Financial Literacy


Complete the Degree Audit form at the Dean’s Office and see an advisor.


Semester timetables are available on the UWI website

Final examinations timetables are available in students’ “mysta” accounts.

Top of Page