The current research in progress or research areas where activities are planned include:
1. WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS:
- Radio Resource Management for Next Generation Cellular Networks
- Performance and Capacity Analysis of Wired and Wireless Networks
- Pricing and QoS for 4G Networks
- Mobile Apps for monitoring accessibility, retainability and throughput of wireless networks
2. WIRELESS AND MOBILE COMPUTING
- Mobile Software: research is being conducted into its design and application. Educational and other areas, e.g. agriculture, are used as cased studies.
- Enabling technologies include Bluetooth and SMS.
3. DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS
- The design and performance of Internet based distributed systems, especially those based on pessimistic and optimistic protocols.
4. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- Mainstream High-Performance-Computing for Artificial Intelligence research and applications.
- Application of Artificial Intelligence to the Resolution of Real World Problems.
This encompasses all aspects of the use of computer technology to facilitate education, particularly Web-based Instructional Systems.
- Integrating web-based and classroom teaching in Secondary Schools and the Caribbean.
- Aggregating and sequencing XML Reusable Learning Objects in a peer-to-peer system.
- Educational Data Mining (Moodle plug-in).
- Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning.
- Accessibility for visually impaired.
- Mobile Application.
6. DATA MANAGEMENT AND DATA MINING
This is particularly applied to agriculture, energy sector, poverty monitoring.
- Database Systems, Federated Databases, Data Warehousing/Data Mining.
7. GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- Developing social simulations using GIS techniques such as agent-based modelling. This is with a view of further understanding some of the topical issues in the Caribbean, for example, urban planning, crime, and migration patterns in relation to social development policy.
8. DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- Development of theoretical decision models to solve spatial multiple criterion problems.
9. COMPUTER SECURITY AND WATERMARKING
- Developing digital watermarking techniques.
10. SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
- Embedded Systems.
- Development of timetabling solutions.
11. USABILITY, PERSONALIZATION AND EMOTIVE DESIGN
Research on usability, personalization and emotive (user emotions) design based on modern mathematical models (computational intelligence: fuzzy logic, neural networks, swarm optimization, etc.) is carried out at the Caribbean's first Usability Lab at the Department of Computing and Information Technology. Its multidisciplinary areas are, as follows:-
- User-centered design and development: user-oriented design and development of Interactive systems/products/workplaces like websites, eServices, mobile devices, office workplaces.
- Usability Testing: usability tests In the Caribbean's first Usability Lab for interactive systems/products/workplaces.
- Personalization: design and development of user-adapted/personalized interactive systems and products.
- Emotive design: research on user emotions/affect/mood/enjoyability issues in design and development of interfaces/systems/products/workplaces that adaptively and positively appeal to the emotions of the user. Use of advanced technologies for recognition of emotion-based on facial expressions, EEG, ECG, etc.
12. MOBILE HEALTH
- Mobile telemedicine for patients suffering from diabetes and cardio-vascular disease in the Caribbean.