FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT UNDERGRADUATE STUDY AT UWIGo back to FAQ index page
FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
Does UWI offer scholarships or financial assistance?
UWI Open Scholarship:
The University of the West Indies (UWI) Open Scholarship is awarded annually, through an application and selection process. You must submit a UWI application for admission to a First degree programme in addition to an application for a UWI Open Scholarship, to be considered for the award of a UWI Open Scholarship.
Who can apply for the University Open Scholarship?
The UWI Open Scholarships are open to students who:
- are citizens of one of UWI's Contributing Countries (proof of citizenship will be required)
- have been accepted to read for a UWI undergraduate degree OR are completing YEAR 1 of a UWI undergraduate degree
- possess an outstanding academic record:
- CAPE Units 1&2 with Grades 1 in at least 5 subjects including Caribbean Studies and Communication Studies; OR
- Associate Degree with a minimum GPA of 3.6; OR
- UWI Year 1 GPA of 3.6 at UWI
- provide two (2) letters of reference - one of which must come from an academic referee (teacher, principal or lecturer) attesting to the applicants' academic ability and potential, demonstrated leadership, and character.
LIST OF UWI CONTRIBUTING COUNTRIES
Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago.
What does the University Open Scholar Scholarship Cover?
Scholarship winners will receive the campus-specific benefits for the duration of their degree programmes as follows:
- Cave Hill and St. Augustine Campuses:
- Maintenance costs - housing, transportation, book costs calculated in relation to the Financial Information provided for the pertinent academic year.
- Mona and Open Campuses:
- Full Scholarship (Tuition and Maintenance costs) OR
- Tuition only.
How to Apply for the University Open Scholarship?Apply online at http://www.uwi.edu/openscholarship
Application deadline: May 15
Certified supporting documents (academic certificates, letters of reference, evidence of leadership and character) must be sent to:
THE OFFICE OF THE BOARD FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
Scholarships and Bursaries
Several scholarships and bursaries are offered to Trinidad & Tobago nationals as well as nationals of other English-speaking Caribbean countries on the basis of the financial need of the student as well as academic performance. Applications for scholarships and bursaries are invited around March of each year and notices are posted on the website at http://sta.uwi.edu/scholarships/ on main notice boards in the Library, Administration Building, Halls of Residence, Faculties and the Student Affairs (Admissions) office as well as other notice boards.
A 'Scholarships and Bursaries' booklet itemising the scholarships and bursaries available for a particular academic year is also available on the website at :http://sta.uwi.edu/scholarships/
Awards vary in value and criteria for eligibility, and are usually awarded on an annual basis.
How are Scholarship & Bursaries awardees notified?
If you applied for a scholarship and bursary you will first receive an acknowledgement email. If you have been awarded a scholarship/bursary you should receive a response by November of the current academic year.
If you can provide a satisfactory guarantor, commercial bank loans are also available to help meet the cost of your university education.
Second and Final year students with a good academic record may also access a Hardship Loan from the University. Applications must be made to the Student Advisory Services. Conditions may apply.
The Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE) programme makes tuition free for all citizens of Trinidad & Tobago pursuing undergraduate programmes (including distance learning programmes) at any campus of The University of the West Indies
For more on the GATE programme, visit the website http://test.gov.tt/Programmes/GATE/Benefits.aspx
Go back to FAQ index page