General Entry Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the general entrance (matriculation) requirements of the university which are outlined below. If you need to discuss your own qualifications please contact the admissions section.
Minimum Age Requirements:
There is no minimum age requirement for entry to undergraduate programmes at the university, except for applicants to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB.BS) who must be at least 18 years of age.
Applicants are required to satisfy the relevant university minimum entrance requirements for matriculation, either at normal or lower level, before being considered for admission to degree or other programmes.
In addition, for admission to some degree programmes applicants are required to have qualifications in some specific subjects. These are referred to as faculty requirements and are stated in the relevant faculty regulations.
View Faculty requirements for programmes offered by
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Food and Agriculture
- Faculty of Humanities and Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
English Language Requirements
All applicants to undergraduate degree programmes at The University of the West Indies must possess English Language qualification.
If your first language is not English, you are required to furnish satisfactory evidence that your competency in English is adequate.
The Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) – A mark of 500 on the paper-based test (82* internet-based) in the TOEFL test for foreign students will be accepted as equivalent to, and in place of, an acceptable CSEC (CXC) pass in English (A) From applicants whose native language is not English.
TOEFL Computer-Based Breakdown –
A minimum writing score of 22
A minimum reading score of 20
A minimum listening score of 20
A minimum speaking score of 20
A certificate showing a minimum total score of 6.5 on the University of Cambridge IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
English Language Proficiency Test
All applicants to the University of the West Indies are required to take the English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) except for persons with the following qualifications:
- Grade 1 - CXC General Proficiency English A Examination
- Grade A - Cambridge GCE O’Level English
- Grade I or II In CAPE Communication Studies
- Grade A or B - Cambridge GCE A/O Level General Paper (GP) Examination or Advanced Subsidiary (a) or (b) in General Paper (GP) Examination
- TOEFL score of 580+ on the paper based
- Grade B or Above in a college English course from an approved university.
- UWI Open Campus-Language and Communication: Grade A or B.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). An overall score of 103 (internet based) with scores of at least:
- listening score of 23
- reading score of 24
- writing score of 28
- speaking score of 28
- The Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT). An overall score of 500 and above in the Writing section.
- Advanced Placement English Language Grade 3 and above.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Extended Essay grades A or B
The ELPT is usually held three times in the academic year:-
- Mid February
For persons who did not write the test at the first sitting a second and final sitting is usually scheduled during the first week of semester. The results of applicants who pass the test will remain valid for a period of five (5) years.
To register to sit the ELPT test kindly contact:
The English Language Foundation Unit
Faculty Of Humanities & Education
The University Of The West Indies
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO W.I
Tel. No.: 1 (868) 662-2002