- About Us
- Student Support
To provide graduates with critical thinking, problem solving and ingenious skills to perform in the changing environment;
To execute and promote relevant and impactful Pure & Applied Physics research in the Caribbean Region.
Our Aims & Objectives...
- To ensure that the inquiry into nature and natural laws translate to the student population through thorough and rigorous teaching methods.
- To offer pure and applied Physics courses packaged under the restructured majors, minors.
- To improve the hand-on experiences of students through many initiatives including inter alia the Astronomical observatory on the Natural Sciences building rooftop.
- To ensure that the students accepted to read for degrees within the department possess the minimum pre-requisites at the CAPE and CXC levels.
- To guarantee a renowned level of Physics education that is of exceptional quality via excellence in teaching and research activities.
- To seek out and optimize on advancements in technology in the field and integrate in teaching delivery.
- To encourage and establish research activities and endeavours.
- To contribute to the quality of graduate who is well rounded, and capable of exceeding employment quality expectations and poised to contribute to bodies of research on an international level.
- To ensure the engagement and empowerment of ATS and Academic Staff within the department as one means of contributing to the student centred experience of the student population.
- To provide the necessary transition of students from secondary school to university education in Physics, taking into consideration recent changes to the CAPE Physics Syllabus.
- To provide a Physics education of the highest quality (teaching, laboratory, exercises, tutorials and other exercises) in spite of the difficulties of the local environment.
- Via excellent teaching, to enhance the reputation of the Department thereby attracting students of the highest quality to read for accredited degrees.
- To enable the department to exploit fully new technologies in teaching and learning.
- To develop among out students the culture of independent teaching and learning.
- To enable research in the department to impact on teaching.
- To ensure that our graduates are “current” flexible and well poised to meet the challenges of the regional and global market.
- To ensure that all stakeholders are serviced by empowered, knowledgeable and interpersonally pleasant staff members.
- To encourage and support research initiatives at the academic, postgraduate, undergraduate and administrative and technical levels.